Join our zoo community
Saro

Marsh Deer (Blastocerus dichotomus)

Marsh Deer (Blastocerus dichotomus)
    • carlos77
      Nice picture, I have traveled to different zoos in South America and i have never seen this species in an animal collection.
    • Maguari
      Lovely photo of a fantastic animal.
    • Al
      Beautiful shot! I would Love to see these in European zoos! Doubt they will ever reappear though :(
    • Maguari
      Interesting, actually, how the colouration mirrors the equally-marsh dwelling Red and Kafue Flats Lechwes so closely.
      Kifaru Bwana likes this.
    • IanRRobinson
      Lovely shot. This looks like a zoo that could do with someone kind to give them time and money; they have some wonderful animals but a lot of the housing looks AWFUL
    • Al
      Interesting point magauri! They are very similar!
    • Saro
      The colours of the marsh deer are also very similar to those of the maned wolf ! I am not really sure what the husbandry problem of the marsh deer is. At least Berlin Zoo kept them alive for many years, even though breeding was apparently poor. Also it seems that there was never much interest by zoos to keep this species, even though they are so beautiful. Santa Cruz had a nice group when I was there, but sometimes being located within the natural distribution area is already a big part of the key to success. I don't think they will be in any zoo outside of South America in the foreseeable future.
    • Onychorhynchus coronatus
      @Saro yes I agree and would add the pampas / pantanal cat too which has a strikingly similar colouration to both the deer and the "wolf".

I think that it could be down to a phenomenon known as "countershading" / "Thayer's law" but as far as I know there has never been any research done to prove this.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Santa Cruz Zoo
    Uploaded By:
    Saro
    Date:
    7 Jul 2011
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    337.3 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1600px
    Height:
    1200px
    Aperture:
    f/4.6
    Make:
    EASTMAN KODAK COMPANY
    Model:
    KODAK CX7430 ZOOM DIGITAL CAMERA
    Date / Time:
    2004:12:03 14:31:33
    Exposure Time:
    1/90 sec
    Focal Length:
    16.8 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).