Join our zoo community
Kudu21

Masai Giraffes

Scanned

Masai Giraffes
Kudu21, 16 Jan 2011
    • DavidBrown
      @Kudu21: greetings. This is an off-the-wall question, I've read that there is a spider exhibit in the Louisville Zoo giraffe house. Have you seen it, and if so, did you like it?
    • Kudu21
      Yes, from what I remember there are several invertebrates held in the zoo's giraffe house. It's been a few years since I've been to the Louisville Zoo, but from what I remember the exhibits in the giraffe house were all rather basic, like a lot of the Louisville Zoo, with an odd mish-mash of creatures(I'm sure you've heard about the Steller's Sea Eagle enclosures in the giraffe house), though of course things could have changed from the last time I visited. If done nicely, I think that enclosures for invertebrates and other small African creatures in giraffe houses are nice, potentially quite educational, touches. African areas in zoos often focus in on just the large mammal species, but such enclosures in giraffe houses allow visitors to take a glimpse into the world of Africa's smaller creatures.
    • DavidBrown
      Thank you Kudu21 for your information and thoughts. I like when zoos give some attention to invertebrates, the primary animal biodiversity on the planet, and am always interested in exhibits for them. If I am ever in Louisville Zoo I will check out the spiders while saying hi to the giraffes.

From your address I gather you probably go to the Cincinnatti Zoo often. I hope to visit their pioneering insect exhibit also someday.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Louisville Zoo
    Uploaded By:
    Kudu21
    Date:
    16 Jan 2011
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    86.4 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    863px
    Height:
    592px

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).