Join our zoo community
djaeon

Masaii Warriors

These guys visited the wild animal park for the summer of '07.

Masaii Warriors
djaeon, 16 Oct 2008
    • djaeon
      These guys visited the wild animal park for the summer of '07.
    • Sun Wukong
      Does the term "Völkerschau" ring a bell? ;)
    • PAT
      That's what I thought.:confused:
    • Baldur
      This will ring a bell with anyone who knows even just bits and pieces of the history of Hagenbeck. The only difference is that they brought in their Eskomos and whatever else many decades ago while this was four years ago. I have to admit that my feelings towards this are rather mixed...
    • carlos77
      As an anthropologist who has worked with diverse ethnic groups I consider that these presentations must be done with great care. if the masai were able to present their traditional dances and music as a rich culture, then this may be justified. Also the role of tribal people in protecting enviroment should be mentined. If it was just a show then it is a step backward. The Smithsonian in Washington has a fine folkways presentation every year which is a good example of how these presentations should be done. Also native people at the smithsonian presentations are encouraged to sell native crafts and support their local economies.
    • Loxodonta Cobra
      Having been to Tanzania and seen the Masai people and knowing about the Hagenbeck human zoos, I admit that I'm not a fan of these.
    • Cat-Man
      An interesting debate. I am sure that this could be an enriching part of any zoo experience however the fact that zoo's are known for their displace of animals combined with the history of human zoo's and the horrible racism that comes with that does make me feel uneasy.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    San Diego Zoo Safari Park
    Uploaded By:
    djaeon
    Date:
    16 Oct 2008
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    64 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    600px
    Height:
    450px

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).