Animal

Masoala-hall at Zürich Zoo

Animal, 8 Aug 2010
    • Animal
    • Dagobert
      Wow, gorgeous photo! It looks like if someone cutter a path through the dense vegetation
    • DavidBrown
      Do they have any tenrec species romping through here?
      BenFoxster likes this.
    • Chlidonias
      are all the plants Madagascan species, or are they not that exact?
    • devilfish
      I didn't think so, but see DesertRhino150's post below.

The range (and numbers) of free-roaming animals, and the general atmosphere of the exhibit make it one of my absolute favourites.

Initially the plants used were tropical species from around the world. They aim to ideally replace the non-Malagasy plants (initially over 1/4 of the plants were sourced from the zoo's plant nurseries in Madagascar.) Ten years on, I don't know how well they've been implementing this.
    • DesertRhino150
      They definately have one of the hedgehog-tenrec species in here, although seeing one is a totally different matter. Here is a picture of one of the Masoala Hall tenrecs:

Hedgehog Tenrec photo - Martin Trachsel photos at pbase.com
    • DavidBrown
    • antonmuster
      According to Furrer et al. (2007) the 2005 initial population of 11 tenrecs increased to at least 40 within just one year.
    • lintworm
      the tenrecs have been taken out of the hall a few years ago, because they ate to much of the other inhabitants....
    • antonmuster
      ...interesting. Do you happen to know which species they preyed upon?

The zoo still features them on (parts of) their website as inhabitants of the masoala hall.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Zürich Zoo
    Uploaded By:
    Animal
    Date:
    8 Aug 2010
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    398 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    927px
    Height:
    616px

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).