Join our zoo community
KCZooFan

Master Plan-Penguin Exhibit

Master Plan-Penguin Exhibit
KCZooFan, 16 Feb 2011
    • Arizona Docent
      Really looks like this zoo has a great plan in place. If everything is done by 2020 (which is less than ten years away), could be a contender for top ten U.S. zoos.
    • KCZooFan
      I was a little disappointed by the lack of new species. It seems the majority of their plans revolve around guest ammenities (which the zoo desperatly needs). But still, it sounds like it will draw in the people.
    • Arizona Docent
      Your disappointment is understandable, but I would rather a zoo build better exhibits for their current animals than build new exhibits for new animals and leave the current ones in outdated exhibits. (Assuming that is the case; I have not been to KCZ so I can't say how the current exhibits are).
    • KCZooFan
      Definatly, I am thrilled that the tigers and orangs are leaving their pitiful cages for much nicer exhibits. But some things are just odd. The gorillas who have a multiple acre exhibit are being moved into an exhibit that certainly doesn't look larger. But I will have to see...
    • reduakari
      And with giraffes in the background....they might as well throw them in next to the tigers for all the geographic or ecological "accuracy" that juxapostion will create. Clearly, they are trying to load up the visitor experience with all the big box office animals they can, and fill the rest of the space up with things to make money or make the kiddies happy--not the worst plan but not very innovative either.
    • KCZooFan
      It wouldn't be giraffes in the background, but antelope (springbok, eland, kudu, oryx). Very stupid idea imo. This new director is terrible, but the city loves what he is doing, so I guess he'll stay for now. *Grumble*
    • reduakari
      The drawing posted here clearly shows giraffes behind the gorillas--so maybe the planners aren't even bothering to coordinate their plans! The recent exhibits at KC all do have a rather bland, generic quality to them (especially the awful polar bear grotto).
    • KCZooFan
      I would advise to look again.

Though I really am not to thrilled about polar bears, the exhibit is nothing at all like an "awful grotto". It cost close to $30 million and is very nicely made.
    • reduakari
      A relatively small (8000 sf?) enclosure confined on 3 sides by highly unrealistic rock walls=grotto in my book. Maybe to be fair not "awful," but certainly not even close to state of the art. The pool is nice and large, and it appears there are some areas of soil or gravel substrate, but the viewing areas and basic enclosure design are about as "cookie cutter" generic as you can get.
    • DavidBrown
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Kansas City Zoo
    Uploaded By:
    KCZooFan
    Date:
    16 Feb 2011
    View Count:
    Comment Count: