Join our zoo community
gentle lemur

Matadi

He's just turned 5 and he's very boisterous. New Gorilla House, Twycross. 27th March 2008. He has a special place in my affections, because I have seen his parents and grandparents, Ozala + Sekondi (Twycross), Biddy + Mamfe (Twycross), Yinka + Sam Sam (Edinborough), his grandfather's parents, N'pongo + Jambo (Jersey) and his great-grandfather's parents, Achilla + Stefi (Basle). I have photographed most of them, too.

Matadi
gentle lemur, 31 Mar 2008
felis silvestris and Steph like this.
    • gentle lemur
      He's just turned 5 and he's very boisterous. New Gorilla House, Twycross. 27th March 2008.
      He has a special place in my affections, because I have seen his parents and grandparents, Ozala + Sekondi (Twycross), Biddy + Mamfe (Twycross), Yinka + Sam Sam (Edinborough), his grandfather's parents, N'pongo + Jambo (Jersey) and his great-grandfather's parents, Achilla + Stefi (Basle). I have photographed most of them, too.
    • Pertinax
      Update; He's just turned 7 now and it sounds as if he has settled into life in the Paignton male group very well. But I'm sure/hope he will be allocated to a breeding group in the years to come as on his father 'Sekondi's side, he is his only offspring(of a deceased male) and the only grandchild of wildcaught SamSam & Yinka. So genetically valuable on one side of his parentage.
    • gentle lemur
      At the moment Biddy's only other descendents are Mambi and Ozala (Matadi's mother), so she is not over-represented either: although we can certainly hope that they will both have young in the future.

Alan
    • Pertinax
      I saw Matadi at Paignton the other day- he looks well integrated with the other young males there. He can be identified from the others as he is darker/blacker coloured and rather hairier too.

The inside Showdens in Paignton's Ape House are badly designed from a viewing point of view- big windows let in light behind the animals so they are constantly in silhouette and so difficult to see properly, the light should really come from behind the public area. I can't think of any other Ape House (in Europe anyway) that has this design.
    • Gigit
      His behaviour is slightly different too. He's a 'real' gorilla while his three companions are essentially daft little boys! He has fitted in really well though.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Twycross Zoo
    Uploaded By:
    gentle lemur
    Date:
    31 Mar 2008
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    121.2 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    800px
    Height:
    600px
    Aperture:
    f/4.5
    Make:
    NIKON CORPORATION
    Model:
    NIKON D300
    Date / Time:
    2008:03:27 12:44:39
    Exposure Time:
    1/100 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 200
    Focal Length:
    300 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).