Join our zoo community
Moebelle

May 2014 - Elephant Reserve - Female Yard Pool Viewing

May 2014 - Elephant Reserve - Female Yard Pool Viewing
Moebelle, 3 Sep 2015
    • DavidBrown
      Do the elephants use their pool very often? I think that this part of their exhibit was shut down when I visited due to construction of the new kangaroo area.
    • Moebelle
      @DavidBrown The kangaroo area is in the former Wildlife Canyon, towards the left side of the zoo entrance and further down in the opposite direction from the elephants. I do remember the "More Home to Roam" [Master plan] sign being up here, which uses a kangaroo as its logo.

The construction you saw was for when the zoo replaced the old brick fencing for the elephants with the now typical metal bars and wire: Aug. 2019 - Elephant Reserve - Main Exhibit Newly "Expanded" - ZooChat

The zoo called it an expansion, but if you were a frequent visitor you would easily notice that they actually shrunk the exhibit, and obstructed the views. Not only that but they cut off the path that leads from the entrance, around Elephant Reserve, to the Discovery Forest. The project wasn't entirely pointless though, the bars were added so that their bull Sabu, could live in this yard with the females. Getting them all accustomed together before they move to their new habitat.

I know that wasn't directed towards answering your question but I thought it was worth bringing up. So to actually answer - from experience I've never seen the elephants in the pool on their own terms unless it was during their scheduled baths/keeper talks.
      DavidBrown likes this.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Cincinnati Zoo and Botanical Garden
    Uploaded By:
    Moebelle
    Date:
    3 Sep 2015
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    392.5 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1600px
    Height:
    1200px
    Aperture:
    f/3.0
    Make:
    NIKON
    Model:
    COOLPIX L820
    Date / Time:
    2013:05:13 12:59:47
    Exposure Time:
    10/12500 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 125
    Focal Length:
    4 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).