Join our zoo community
Arizona Docent

melanistic jungle cat

March 2, 2015.

melanistic jungle cat
    • Arizona Docent
      March 2, 2015.
    • zootiger
      Lovely photos! Out of interest, did you see all the species there? And how easy are they to see? Thanks
    • TeaLovingDave
      I'd love to see this species; one of three cat species in Europe I am yet to see.
    • Maguari
      I still have to remind myself how rare they are now - I grew up with them just up the road at Riber. Interestingly, it seems to me that as they've got rarer the proportion of melanistic animals seems to have increased - it was a long time before I saw one and now pretty much every second animal seems to be melanistic.

EDIT: OK, I'll bite - Jungle Cat, presumably Iberian Lynx as as far as I'm aware you've never (yet) set foot on the Iberian peninsula - what's the third?
    • TeaLovingDave
      The "oncilla" taxon Leopardus guttulus split from the true oncilla a while ago :) which is held at Parc des Felins and Dortmund.
    • Maguari
      Ah - might have known it'd be a trick! ;)

I've not seen that or the lynx yet, either (but I have seen Jungle Cats many times!).
    • TeaLovingDave
      Of course, were you a shade older you could have seen the lynx at the same place you regularly saw the junglecat :p
    • Maguari
      *pulls sceptical face*

I volunteered regularly at Riber in the '90s (I actually did my Year 10 work experience there!) and nowhere in conversation at the park or in its literature have I seen or heard any reference at all to Iberian Lynx or any lynx coming from Spain - despite the guide and signage boasting about their history lynx at length and specifically mentioning a number of forms, up to and including including the not-actually-a-lynx Caracal. Would be interested to know the source for the Zootierliste listing, and if the animal was identified as such as the time.
    • Arizona Docent
      @zootiger - I have been to Europe and Parc Felins on four different trips, spending a total of seven days at the park. In all that time I have not once seen their clouded leopards, which seem to hide in their den box during the day. All the other cats I have seen and most are quite easy to see. The only other difficult ones are the Malayan tigers which have a very dense forest with only one viewpoint on the corner, but they do come out to the clearing at the end of the day.
    • Arizona Docent
      And since we are discussing missed cat opportunities from the past, I will never live down the fact that I did not make it to Port Lympne before their African golden cats died out. At least I got there to get good shots of Indian wildcat (aka desert cat) as it seems these are now gone as well and likely impossible to find in western zoos.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Le Parc des Félins
    Uploaded By:
    Arizona Docent
    Date:
    25 Mar 2015
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    185.6 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    800px
    Height:
    900px
    Aperture:
    f/4.0
    Make:
    Canon
    Model:
    Canon EOS 5D Mark III
    Date / Time:
    2015:03:02 08:23:30
    Exposure Time:
    1/2000 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 800
    Focal Length:
    265 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).