September 4, 2015.

melanistic wildcat
    • Arizona Docent
      September 4, 2015.
    • savethelephant
      Very nice AD!:D
      Glad you got to see it
    • carlos55
      great photos, what did you think of this place ?
    • Arizona Docent
      I like it. The enclosures are not huge, but not awful either. Basically average by zoo standards, though I would like to see bigger. However many of the cats are worked with and walked on leash, so they probably lead more interesting lives than many zoo cats in bigger enclosures that never get to leave their enclosures. All enclosures have natural substrate and foliage (no cement, except of course for night houses).

The regular tour for visitors, which I did after my private photo tour, is informative and accurate. For one example the lion had a full belly mane and the guide said he gets it from having some Barbary genes though pureblooded Barbary lions are extinct. Many other private zoos would likely just call them Barbary lions.

They work with the amur leopard SSP and with other reputable facilities such as EFBC. They have 54 cats at present (though a few were away with the director at a conference) representing I think 15 species. More species are to be added. What is most amazing is that besides the director there are only two paid staff members to run everything (animal care, gift shop, tours). They get some volunteer interns in summer, but still unbelievable.
    • Chlidonias
      so where did this black cat come from? Was it bred from cloned cats, or was it a "rescue" or something?
    • Arizona Docent
      All four of their African wildcats came from Audubon Species Survival Center. This one was either born there or imported from Africa by them. Great Cats World does hope to breed their wildcats soon.
    • devilfish
      Thanks for sharing this great shot, AD. I had previously missed it but remembered your plans to visit. Good to know the cats' provenance. Are they of a pure subspecies (maybe Felis silvestris cafra)?
    • Arizona Docent
      Is cafra a valid subspecies? I thought all African wildcats were now F.s. lybica? Paging TeaLovingDave to the rescue... (or anyone else who want to chime in).
    • TeaLovingDave
      The South African Wildcat, or F. s. cafra, is recognised as a distinct subspecies on the basis of genetic, morphological and behavioural studies :) the division between the North African and South African wildcat taxa is more or less Mozambique in the east, and Angola in the west.
    • Arizona Docent
      Thanks Tea Loving Dave! Then I would assume these are likely F.s. cafra.

If I am not mistaken, the Mideast race F.s. gordoni has now been subsumed within F.s. lybica?
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Great Cats World Park
    Uploaded By:
    Arizona Docent
    Date:
    10 Sep 2015
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    64.7 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    450px
    Height:
    333px
    Aperture:
    f/3.2
    Make:
    Canon
    Model:
    Canon EOS 5D Mark III
    Date / Time:
    2015:09:04 08:08:25
    Exposure Time:
    1/500 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 200
    Focal Length:
    145 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).