Join our zoo community
Talli

Milk Snake

Milk Snake
Talli, 3 May 2009
    • Talli
      taken Feb 09
    • bongorob
      If this needs to be identified I think it is a Mexican Milksnake (Lampropeltis triangulum annulata)
    • Talli
      Do you think so? I was thinking one of the various Mountain Kingsnakes... I'm not sure my photo's good enough to tell.
    • bongorob
      I based my decision on the fact that L.t.annulata has a black head with a yellow band and the black-yellow-black bands are narrow whereas the red bands are very wide. Your photo matches two photos I have seen of L.t.annulata.

The photos I have looked at for L.zonata show a narrower red area.

I am not saying that I am right, it is just an opinion based on the evidence I've looked at. You could try an image search for the snake you think it is and see if your i.d. is correct.
    • Talli
      For the life of me, I can't see the head. When I look at the original picture, the light band seems white rather than yellow. I looked at a lot of photos, but didn't see a good match either with a mountain king or a milk snake. Oh well, maybe someone will recognize it!
    • Ituri
      I'm thinking this to be a Nelson's milk snake Lampropeltis triangulum nelsoni due to the very thin white bands. It's definitely a milk snake and not a mountain king such as zonata or pyromelana.
    • bongorob
      If the bands are white I agree with Ituri's identification.
    • Hix
      Looks like a milksnake to me.
    • Talli
      I'm willing to concede since I can't find a good match in a picture.
      Now - please help me name some of the other snakes!
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Chapultepec Ecological Park
    Uploaded By:
    Talli
    Date:
    3 May 2009
    View Count:
    Comment Count: