Join our zoo community
devilfish

Mole house - with zoochatter, October 2017

Mole house - with zoochatter, October 2017
devilfish, 12 Jan 2018
Kifaru Bwana, CMP, Swampy and 5 others like this.
    • birdsandbats
      How are moles exhibited?
    • devilfish
      @birdsandbats
      The two Japanese mole species are free to race around in tunnels over visitors' heads between a feeding station on one side of the room and a glass-topped table filled with mud. It looks like each animal has its own tunnel system. A series of bells attached to the tunnels' suspending strings alert visitors to this overhead activity. The other species are held in the glass displays on the sides.
    • snowleopard
      What an incredibly fascinating exhibit! Your many Japanese adventures to zoos and aquariums has certainly whetted my appetite for a future journey to that wonderful nation. Also, I've been writing an American zoo book with the ZooChatter in the photo. We've been tinkering away on it for a couple of years now and he has almost reached 800 zoos in his lifetime. He's so busy visiting zoos around the world that he keeps putting the book into semi-hibernation. Ha! :)
    • pachyderm pro
      A mole house! An innovative concept for sure. Has this ben done many other places? What did you think about this house @devilfish? And out of curiosity, who is the zoochatter in the photo?
    • devilfish
      @pachyderm pro I'm not aware of any others outside Tama. I think there's one more functioning in Japan. I expected to see one in Tennoji but I couldn't find it - I don't think they're displaying them any more. I loved it. I think it's a fantastic exhibit and deserved a return visit later in the day.
    • Kakapo
      Thanks for the bunch of photos of Tama zoo! Very useful for my Japan plans :) Pachyderm zoo: at least it's claimed that Tama zoo is the only zoo in the world that have a mole (and shrew) house.
      devilfish likes this.
    • pachyderm pro
      @Kakapo There's a pachyderm zoo! :eek: Where can I find it :p.
    • PossumRoach
      @devilfish Late to the discussion but I've heard that the Asa zoo and the Miyazaki city Phoenix zoo keep moles as well.
    • aardvark250
      @PossumRoach Miyazaki city and Kumamoto have them, I have seen video evidence. Asa though I'm unsure.
    • PossumRoach
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Tama Zoo
    Uploaded By:
    devilfish
    Date:
    12 Jan 2018
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    367.6 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    2048px
    Height:
    1365px

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).