Join our zoo community
toto98

Monkey ID

Monkey ID
toto98, 10 Mar 2016
Coelacanth18 and devilfish like this.
    • Chlidonias
      these are Annamese silvered langurs (Trachypithecus margarita) or Indochinese silvered langurs (T. germaini). The former was previously included within the latter. I'm not sure I could tell them apart unless in the wild (because the ranges do not overlap).
    • FunkyGibbon
      They are labelled as Silver Leaf Monkeys. Is this a possible synonym of your suggestions Chli? Wikipedia thinks that that might mean Trathypithecus cristatus.
      They are in the huge domed concrete and bar enclosure, which I thought was beautiful.
    • Chlidonias
      no, not T. cristatus. Formerly cristatus was used for the whole complex (from Indonesia to Vietnam) but it was split into two (cristatus in the west and germaini in the east), and then margarita was further split from germaini. The separation between the two local species in Vietnam is the Mekong River, and the Saigon animals were caught within the range of margarita. If all the animals at the zoo are housed together they are probably all margarita - but they will be using the old [collective] common name (and quite possibly treating them as germaini if they don't accept/acknowledge the margarita split).
    • Maguari
      Interesting - when I was there these were on a well-planted island (with the effect you could get nowhere near as close as this!).
    • Kifaru Bwana
      The species is indeed T. margarita.
      (Shame I could not make it to Ho Chi Minh Zoo ...)

BTW: I did visit Hanoi Zoo however: they had only a singleton langur.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Saigon Zoo and Botanical Gardens
    Uploaded By:
    toto98
    Date:
    10 Mar 2016
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    281.8 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1060px
    Height:
    1600px
    Aperture:
    f/4.5
    Make:
    NIKON CORPORATION
    Model:
    NIKON D5100
    Date / Time:
    2015:12:20 09:37:15
    Exposure Time:
    10/2000 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 1250
    Focal Length:
    68 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).