Join our zoo community
Pleistohorse

Moose in the Garden.

I’d just let My dogs Molly and Pooka out. Fortunately they were both so stunned to find three moose inside the garden fence (A first there) that they slunk back into the house without too much effort on my part. Alaska, look both ways when leaving the house.

Moose in the Garden.
    • Sarus Crane
      Who needs a car in Alaska when you have Moose around!
    • David Matos Mendes
      That might look quite a silly question, but how agressive are moose to human beings?
    • Pleistohorse
      @David Matos Mendes if you respect the animal and keep your distance they aren’t usually interested in you. Sometimes moose will approach you or follow you (likely because they have been fed, but sometimes just seem curious) and that can be unnerving. Just keep moving away. Retreat towards a safe place. Cows with calves and Bulls in rut can be dangerous and again space between you and them is most important. A moose that has been harassed or agitated or is under stress can be very dangerous. A well known incident, I’m sure you can find it on YouTube, occurred some 20 years ago, where a winter stressed moose was agitated by some young people throwing snowballs and then attacked and killed a man who was just walking through the area. This happened on the University of Alaska campus in Anchorage. Moose (maybe because they are not shy and are fairly common) “scare” me more then bears when I’m in the woods. But I’ve always been able to give them wide berth and “break contact” when I’ve stumbled upon them out in the forest...or my back garden. I was about 10 feet away from this one and her two yearlings before I even noticed them, and smartly stepped back inside with the dogs. The dogs were stunned frankly...they are used to seeing moose on the other side of the fence. Molly in her first year made the mistake of running up on a moose in the neighborhood and learned real quick to respect them. Alaska’s urban moose are generally pretty tolerant of and used to being around people.
    • David Matos Mendes
      @Pleistohorse Wow, I would already respect moose for their huge size, but didn't know they could be that agressive too... I always had a little fear of them because of their grandiosity.

I think I have heard about the accident you mentioned in natgeo wild or something...

Although all this, it might be pretty nice to have the opportunity to see such magnific creatures at home. Did they left your place friendly? Do they often appear around?
    • Pleistohorse
      @David Matos Mendes yep. We went back inside and let them be. They hit the raspberry bushes on the side of the house and stepped over the fence and moved on. I was worried they would knock the fence down. We see them fairly often in the neighborhood, but this was the first I’ve seen them go over the garden fence.
    • CheeseChameleon1945
      This is pretty cool, I mean, I've seen deer in my backyard countless times, but bravo, not a Sight That I usually see.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    United States - Wildlife
    Uploaded By:
    Pleistohorse
    Date:
    28 Oct 2020
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    1.4 MB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    2346px
    Height:
    2576px
    Aperture:
    f/1.8
    Make:
    Apple
    Model:
    iPhone 7 Plus
    Date / Time:
    2020:10:27 17:47:58
    Exposure Time:
    1/7 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 100
    Focal Length:
    3.99 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).