joneil238

Mountain Tapir

Behind the scenes - Mountain Tapir indoor area

Mountain Tapir
joneil238, 25 Jul 2013
    • joneil238
      Behind the scenes - Mountain Tapir indoor area
    • jusko88
      Nice!!!!! I talked to the zoo about this. The lady told me just to let them know and there willing to let me see the mountain tapir behind the scenes!!!!
    • blospz
      I am so jealous!
    • jusko88
      @joneil238- Do you know how many mountain tapirs are at Cheyenne mountain? thanks matt
    • TeamTapir223

Your not the only one ! :D

Team Tapir223
    • joneil238
      As of May 2013 they had one male and one female, a proven breeding pair. The one in the photo is the male. They are still off display, but are about to have a new home in the zoo's former lion exhibit.
    • mstickmanp
      It's a shame this species is being phased out. Is the zoo still trying to breed them?
    • IanRRobinson
      This is a good example of a species where zoos face a dilemna. The population in captivity is not viable, and the animal is in trouble in the wild. A captive population, to act as both ambassadors for their species and as a potential source of knowledge, would be useful. The species has bred in captivity and with greater experience might do better. What should happen? Is the phase-out a wise idea?
    • DavidBrown
      I don't think that the phase-out is a desired one, but I know that the LA Zoo tried very hard to bring some more individuals in from South American zoos to bolster the North American population and was not able to do this for whatever reasons.
    • jusko88
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Cheyenne Mountain Zoo
    Uploaded By:
    joneil238
    Date:
    25 Jul 2013
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    216.1 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1600px
    Height:
    1200px
    Aperture:
    f/3.3
    Make:
    NIKON
    Model:
    COOLPIX L610
    Date / Time:
    0000:00:00 00:00:00
    Exposure Time:
    10/80 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 640
    Focal Length:
    4.5 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).