Join our zoo community
David Matos Mendes

Mr. Serafim - Belo Horizonte zoo

Mr. Serafim came from Barcelona zoo and had an offspring in 2002 with female "Agda". He's been living alone since the zoo's last female chimp, Dorothea, died a few months ago at age 42. The institution plans to receive more chimps as soon as possible.

Mr. Serafim - Belo Horizonte zoo
    • David Matos Mendes
      Mr. Serafim came from Barcelona zoo and had an offspring in 2002 with female "Agda". He's been living alone since the zoo's last female chimp, Dorothea, died a few months ago at age 42. The institution plans to receive more chimps as soon as possible.
    • Terry Thomas
      Very nice photo.
    • carlos55
      He has that grey hair just like La. Vieja the senior female Chimp at Barcelona zoo who died last year at 60 years of age and which I posted some pictures of on the Barcelona zoo gallery.
      Maybe Serafim is her son.
    • David Matos Mendes
      @carlos55
      I always thought "Serafim's" hair color was something genetical rather than due to old age. He has always been like this, at least as long as I can remember (he used to be a little darker, but nothing much different from nowadays). When I found out he came from Barcelona, I searched for pictures of the chimps living there and realized there was one with a lighter color too. Now that you told me about "La vieja", things make even more sense. It really takes us to think this is much probably a color variant or a mutation that makes them acquire lighter hair much easier than most of the chimps. Considerable chances he's actually "La vieja's" son indeed. Do you know if Barcelona has ever had other "white" chimpanzees besides her?
    • carlos55
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Belo Horizonte Zoo
    Uploaded By:
    David Matos Mendes
    Date:
    11 Jul 2021
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    4.9 MB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    4000px
    Height:
    3000px
    Aperture:
    f/5.7
    Make:
    NIKON
    Model:
    COOLPIX P500
    Date / Time:
    2021:07:11 12:23:07
    Exposure Time:
    10/1600 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 160
    Focal Length:
    130.2 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).