snowleopard

Museum Map

August 5th, 2015.

Museum Map
snowleopard, 24 Feb 2016
    • snowleopard
      August 5th, 2015.
    • Arizona Docent
      Looks like a nice layout with a wide variety of things to see. However the animal exhibits appear quite limited. I think a large black bear and cougar exhibit would really enhance this facility.
    • snowleopard
      I totally agree! Here is my mini-review from last summer's 24 day/81 zoo trip:

High Desert Museum:

High Desert Museum is a non-AZA accredited facility in Bend, Oregon, quite a few hours off the major interstate and an establishment that appears to be far out of the way. Nevertheless, after my comments about touring 4 excellent desert zoos I can add a 5th to that total as yet again a focus on a specific region of the world was showcased with a wonderful attention to detail. The High Desert itself is not very well known and it takes up a significant amount of space in the northwestern region of the United States. The Museum Main Building has a beautiful entrance foyer; a Hall of Exploration and Settlement that has many dioramas explaining how the west was settled; Hall of Plateau Indians presents the First Nations peoples of the region and includes a nicely designed White Sturgeon tank; there is a Deadly by Nature row of 5 terrariums; “Whose Home?” is a rocky, animal-themed play area; there are random exhibits for a Bobcat and a Raccoon (both ex-pets); a Spirit of the West art gallery; a terrific gift shop with a large selection of desert-themed books; and a “Desertarium” with an assortment of terrariums of varying sizes that feature many desert-dwelling reptiles and amphibians. Almost everything is tastefully done and of a high caliber although some of the small terrariums were disappointing.

Outside is a half-mile loop that takes visitors through scrubland country and includes a North American River Otter exhibit that was hugely popular on my visit. There is underwater viewing and a lot of grass and the zoo is actively raising funds to improve the exhibit by knocking down some of the surrounding walls and turning them into glass areas. Continuing on down the trail there is a daily raptor show, a 1904 homestead (complete with cabin, barn and corral) and an excellent Birds of Prey Center with 6 species. It is quite easy to spend a minimum of 2 hours at this establishment and it was an enjoyable way to end the trip.

Species List (41 total): Bobcat, Raccoon, North American Porcupine, Bald Eagle, Golden Eagle, Barred Owl, Barn Owl, Western Burrowing Owl, Great Horned Owl, Western Diamondback Rattlesnake, Asian Vine Snake, Sonoran Mountain Kingsnake, Common Kingsnake, Long-Nosed Snake, Great Basin Gopher Snake, Common Garter Snake, Western Racer, Rubber Boa, Western Fence Lizard, Gila Monster, Northern Sagebrush Lizard, Chuckwalla, Desert Collared Lizard, Central Bearded Dragon, Western Skink, Desert Tortoise, Western Painted Turtle, Red-Eared Slider, Northern Leopard Frog, Western Toad, Long-Toed Salamander, Spanish Ribbed Newt, Rough-Skinned Newt, Emperor Scorpion, Giant Desert Hairy Scorpion, Western Black Widow Spider, Mexican Fireleg Tarantula, Vietnamese Centipede, Darkling Beetle, White Sturgeon, Great Basin Red-Band Trout and a few donkeys, horses and chickens in the homestead area.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    High Desert Museum
    Uploaded By:
    snowleopard
    Date:
    24 Feb 2016
    View Count:
    Comment Count: