Join our zoo community
Daubentoniidae

My Ideal Marwell Zoo Map

In an ideal world, this would be my ideal Marwell Zoo which makes use of many unused and forgotten enclosures. I got most of the additional species from an old guide book (back when Marwell was still great!) Please comment and criticise!

My Ideal Marwell Zoo Map
    • RAG
      This is an interesting map. I used to work at Marwell a very long time ago but because I no longer live in the UK, I haven't been back for ages. It's very nostalgic to see that many of my old friends are apparently still there, although I gather from your description that this is an 'ideal' and not reality.

I see that there are apparently two separate Scimitar Horned Oryx enclosures in your map - is that real, or an idea of yours? Perhaps for expectant mums?
      StoppableSan likes this.
    • Daubentoniidae
      @RAG
      Thanks for the feedback, I'm not sure whether they have two groups of Oryx at present but they have at least one group.

This is indeed a ideal version of what there currently is, but also partially nostalgic for me as I've included many species which used to be there and aren't anymore.

I've attached an up-to-date map as well as an older one which looks more similar to my version:

https://www.marwell.org.uk/media/other/Marwell_Zoo_Map_A4_2020_07022020161153.pdf
      https://images.slideplayer.com/12/3520238/slides/slide_4.jpg
      RAG likes this.
    • RAG
      Thanks for the maps! They have expanded a bit since my day, but I have to say, it all looks a bit jumbled! The emphasis seems to be very much on cafes, rides, shops and vending points now and judging by the godawful illustrations of the animals, they seem to be somewhat second fiddle!

I'm just a jaundiced old keeper though, who pines for the old days of the promised 'brave new world' of coordinated breeding programmes of endangered species, driving determinedly towards re-populating the wild. Ho-hum. I suppose commercial interests have to take precedence though.

What do you, as a zoo enthusiast, think of Marwell over the years and nowadays?
    • Daubentoniidae
      @RAG It's still a good enough zoo with notable rare species like the Amur and Snow Leopards and Amur Tiger as well as larger species including Giraffes, Okapi and White Rhinos but it has lost quite a few species that I'd certainly like to see brought back such as the Babirusa, Fossa, Takin, Jaguar and Sand Cat.
    • RAG
      Lost? What happened? I use to look after the jags, back in the day - one of my favourites. Awesome cats!
    • Daubentoniidae
      @RAG Well I'm not entirely sure what happened to them, all I know is that they don't have them now. I also never recall seeing them, despite there being an image of a black on in an old guidebook.
      RAG likes this.
    • dillotest0
      The jaguars were moved to Chester in 2004.

I'm not entirely sure that walk-through coatis would be too feasible, not in the coatis themselves, but rather recent European law which forbids the maintenance of coati in anything other than an inescapable cage..
    • zoomaniac
      @Daubendoniidae: I just saw your idea of an improved Marwell Zoo and I must say: This is really great. I specially love the point to bring in African Elephants. Who if not Marwell with its 57 ha could be a new holder in the UK? (Just a little remark here: There should be a path around the enclosure, not only a viewing point).
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Fantasy Zoos
    Uploaded By:
    Daubentoniidae
    Date:
    25 Sep 2019
    View Count:
    Comment Count: