Join our zoo community
Zooish

Naracoorte Cave - Signage

Typical animal info sign in 4 languages (English, Chinese, Malay and Japanese).

Naracoorte Cave - Signage
Zooish, 21 Nov 2010
    • Zooish
      Typical animal info sign in 4 languages (English, Chinese, Malay and Japanese).
    • Maguari
      Nice to see. Shame there seems to be a feeling in the UK that using other languages on labels is more likely to confuse the British than help any overseas visitors.

The only UK zoos I can think of with multilingual labels are those (such as Welsh Mountain Zoo) that are bilingual English-Welsh, which doesn't really count as both are local languages. Around Europe a lot of larger zoos (and many small ones) have multiple languages (the local plus English, German and/or French, generally). Just doesn't seem to be the done thing in Britain.

I did rather like the signs at Loro Parque and Jungle Park (Parque las Aguilas) in Tenerife, that were arranged thus:

SCIENTIFIC NAME
      Spanish name - English name - German name

Followed by the animal description and whatnot. Seemed to work fine.
    • Chlidonias
      remember in Singapore English, Chinese and Malay are the local languages
    • Maguari
      Well, I guess that's true. There's still the Japanese though. :D
    • Chlidonias
      yes I think the Japanese part must be solely for the tourists (I can't say I've ever noticed any Japanese residents in Singapore but they must be there). The two main southeast Asian zoos (Singapore and Dusit Zoo in Thailand) both have very good bi- or multi-lingual signage. I haven't been to Zoo Negara in KL for a while so can't say whether their signage is now bilingual as well.
    • Arizona Docent
      Here in the southwest US, many zoo signs (and signs other places) are naturally in English and Spanish. When I was at Parc Des Felins in France, all of the signs were in French and English (but no other European languages like German or Italian).
    • Zooish
      Oh there is a sizeable Japanese population in Singapore, but you're right in that the signs at Night Safari cater to tourists. The Japanese for some reason really love Night Safari. For the live commentaries on the trams, Japanese is the only language other than English that is offered.

Zoo Negara signs are randomly bilingual ;)

The downside of having too many languages on one sign is that the info presented is usually brief due to space constraints. Well, not that it matters much to most zoo visitors who seem to abhor signs. :rolleyes:
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Singapore Night Safari
    Uploaded By:
    Zooish
    Date:
    21 Nov 2010
    View Count:
    Comment Count: