Join our zoo community
BeardsleyZooFan

New African Spurred Tortoise Exhibit

July 12th, 2014: 12 African Spurred Tortoises are staying at the zoo this summer, courtesy of Rainforest Reptiles, an organization with reptile shows that are currently featuring at Beardsley.

New African Spurred Tortoise Exhibit
BeardsleyZooFan, 13 Jul 2014
    • BeardsleyZooFan
      July 12th, 2014: 12 African Spurred Tortoises are staying at the zoo this summer, courtesy of Rainforest Reptiles, an organization with reptile shows that are currently featuring at Beardsley.
    • ThylacineAlive
      I would very much like Beardsley to get a permanent species for this enclosure.

~Thylo:cool:
    • BeardsleyZooFan
      The zoo intends to keep this area as a temporary exhibit space, as far as I'm aware. The enclosure is somewhat small, so it makes me wonder what species that don't require much space yet are somewhat popular could be held in here, besides tortoises.
    • Maguari
      This is one interesting difference between UK/European zoos and their US equivalents - the concept of the 'temporary exhibit'.

Barring the occasional visiting falconer on busy summer weekends, I don't recall a single temporary, 'one season' live animal exhibit in a UK zoo. Occasionally a temporary display for juveniles, but otherwise live exhibits tend to be at least intended as permanent. The only notable exception that springs to mind are the SeaLife Centre chain - which often have a rotating exhibit space containing different displays that move from centre to centre.

EDIT: Actually, I think one of the blocks of amphibian enclosures at Chester was intended to be temporary, but ended up being permanent!
    • snowleopard
      @Maguari: you make a succinct observation. In the United States there are plenty of temporary exhibits and I've seen at least 3-4 feature penguins, a few with white alligators and a variety of other animals "rented" for the summer season. Also, animatronic dinosaur displays are extremely common as there is probably a list of a dozen companies in America that lease out the dinos each summer at various zoos and museums.
    • Maguari
      The most extreme example I've seen recently is the temporary exhibit of Patagonian Sea Lions that is doing the rounds (believe it is at Lowry Park currently). The idea of a temporary sea lion pool fair boggles the mind.

The dinos have made it over here (as temporary exhibits) as well.
    • ThylacineAlive
      Yes I don't understand how the whole temporary sea lion thing works.

~Thylo:cool:
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Connecticut's Beardsley Zoo
    Uploaded By:
    BeardsleyZooFan
    Date:
    13 Jul 2014
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    453.7 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1600px
    Height:
    1200px
    Aperture:
    f/3.0
    Make:
    OLYMPUS IMAGING CORP.
    Model:
    SP810UZ,SP815UZ
    Date / Time:
    2014:07:12 02:48:01
    Exposure Time:
    1/250 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 64
    Focal Length:
    4.8 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).