Join our zoo community
cypher

New Arctic Fox

One of the new Arctic Foxes in the Tundra Trek. Much smaller than Cody.

New Arctic Fox
cypher, 6 May 2014
    • cypher
      One of the new Arctic Foxes in the Tundra Trek. Much smaller than Cody.

This one has a black patch on its right side. It is one of the ways I was able to tell the difference from the two
    • TZFan
      I hope the spot is something that stays for next winter. It would be a great way to tell them apart once we learn their names.
    • arcticwolf
      Thanks for posting pictures of the new foxes cypher. When I visited both of them were sleeping together and they just looked like a big white ball.

Shouldn't the foxes have changed colour already? I'm pretty sure Cody (the old arctic fox) already has.
    • TZFan
      Im not sure about that. When I went at the beginning of June last year Cody had blown out about 25% of his coat. Im sure it varies year to year but it just might not be warm enough yet.
    • arcticwolf
      Maybe you're right about that. I don't know very much about arctic foxes. Also I could have been wrong about Cody's coat already changing.
    • cypher
      Last time I saw Cody, he only had that brown patch on his back, but that was a couple weeks ago.
    • Mr Wrinkly
      Both the new ones are female. Keeper did not know what plans there are for breeding.
      The male, Cody, is still there. His coat was turning colour last time I saw him April 24. Maybe the new ones have not started turning because they are from some distance north of Toronto.
    • TZFan
      That makes a lot of sense. If they are from some colder area it could delay their shedding. Unfortunately when they do blow their coats that means we will lose the one way we have to tell them apart. Unless their summer coats differ.

Two females is a good sign. Whether they breed or not... and I hope they do... they could possibly introduce Cody to the girls and have a nice little group. If one or both of the new arrivals were male Cody would have stayed alone. Not that foxes need companions but I'm sure his life will be more enriching with others around to interact with. Even if they dont mix just the smell of the girls, them moving the toys, ect can prove enriching for him.

And Mr. Wrinkly we all know how obessed I am with collecting names, did you happen to catch their names?
    • Mr Wrinkly
      Names? Never occurred to me!

Just noticed her tongue is out.

That "patch" - tried to see it clearly at the zoo and zooming on this picture, and still not sure what it is. Maybe turning colour, maybe a wound, maybe a medical procedure. I did not see it 4/24 and it's not in my pics from that day, although maybe those are of the same fox, not both. Time will tell.
    • cypher
      Not 100% sure but I think it was the start of the fur changing colour.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Toronto Zoo
    Uploaded By:
    cypher
    Date:
    6 May 2014
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    279.1 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1600px
    Height:
    680px
    Aperture:
    f/9.0
    Make:
    NIKON CORPORATION
    Model:
    NIKON D7100
    Date / Time:
    2014:05:05 09:29:04
    Exposure Time:
    1/160 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 500
    Focal Length:
    70 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).