Join our zoo community
Arizona Docent

new basilisk exhibit

Tank on right has been empty probably longer than it has had animals since it was built. Started with red piranhas, but they eventually died from a water problem. After empty for years, we had small colorful mosquitofish, but same thing happened to them. Now after being empty a couple years we are going to try a basilisk lizard. (We're in the desert, so we know more about lizards than fish LOL). He was just introduced so the glass is covered with green paper temporarily. I peeked through the openings, but could not spot it.

new basilisk exhibit
Arizona Docent, 30 Jun 2010
    • Arizona Docent
      Tank on right has been empty probably longer than it has had animals since it was built. Started with red piranhas, but they eventually died from a water problem. After empty for years, we had small colorful mosquitofish, but same thing happened to them. Now after being empty a couple years we are going to try a basilisk lizard. (We\'re in the desert, so we know more about lizards than fish LOL).
      He was just introduced so the glass is covered with green paper temporarily. I peeked through the openings, but could not spot it.
    • Ituri
      I remember this exhibit, it was a nice pirahna display. It's a shame that didn't work out so well. Nice that they are putting something in it again. Basilisks are fascinating lizards.
    • WLV30SAS
      Arizona Docent,

Possibly planning a future trip to this zoo, by chance do you have a complete species list?
    • Arizona Docent
      More or less, I can post it shortly. But while we are on this photo, I should note when I was at the zoo last there was a sign saying the basilisk was temporarily off exhibit (I am not sure why).
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Reid Park Zoo
    Uploaded By:
    Arizona Docent
    Date:
    30 Jun 2010
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    50.9 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    432px
    Height:
    324px
    Aperture:
    f/2.7
    Make:
    Canon
    Model:
    Canon PowerShot A1000 IS
    Date / Time:
    2010:06:29 09:43:41
    Exposure Time:
    1/8 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 200
    Focal Length:
    6.2 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).