Join our zoo community
Zoofan15

New Cheetah Exhibit (First Viewing Window)

Photo taken 04/09/2022.

New Cheetah Exhibit (First Viewing Window)
    • Swanson02
      Quite spacious and very green. Almost as if this exhibit was in a European Zoo
    • Zoofan15
      @Swanson02 It’s very spacious compared to the Cheetah exhibits at Auckland and Wellington and perfect for the four young males (born 2018), who have lots of energy. It’s right next to the Savannah, which gives them an interesting vantages point.
    • Swanson02
      @Zoofan15 Was the savanna portion of the zoo acquired later on after opening? Just from the map it just seems like it has been tacked on (in a good way)

Also, do they have any major/interesting plans or target species other than building New Zealand's largest petting zoo? Would Sri Lankan leopard suit Hamilton?
    • Zoofan15
      @Swanson02 The Savannah opened in 1999 and yes it was an addition to the zoo. Prior to that, the Bison occupied the space where the Cheetah exhibit is and Llama and Emu occupied where the Lowland nyala are. This was the boundary of the zoo.

The opening of the Savannah saw the Grant’s zebra and Indian antelope move from their exhibit, which freed it up for the construction of the Southern white rhinoceros exhibit.

I think Sri Lankan leopard would be perfect for Hamilton Zoo. The current plan is for the larger African wild dog exhibit to be demolished, which is a shame imo as it looks as spacious and well presented as it did in the 2000’s. The only additional plans I’m aware of are a Lace monitor exhibit and talk of Clouded leopard.
    • Swanson02
      @Zoofan15 Clouded leopard though imo would be better then Sri Lankan Leopard as we currently only have one holder so thats very good.
    • Zoofan15
      @Swanson02 I wouldn’t be surprised if Hamilton Zoo replaced Fishing cat with Clouded leopard. When I visited with my kids on Sunday, I challenged them to find a Fishing cat - which they were unable to do. In the decade since they arrived, I think I’ve seen them twice and the visitors just pass by the exhibit.

Like Melbourne Zoo (successfully) did with their small cats, they should build an off display facility isolated from the public thoroughfare and make the on display exhibit more visible to the public rather than a halfway house solution that pleases neither felid or visitor.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Hamilton Zoo
    Uploaded By:
    Zoofan15
    Date:
    5 Sep 2022
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    4.1 MB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    3264px
    Height:
    2448px
    Aperture:
    f/2.4
    Make:
    Apple
    Model:
    iPad Air 2
    Date / Time:
    2022:09:04 13:03:26
    Exposure Time:
    1/776 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 25
    Focal Length:
    3.3 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).