March 2011

New elephant house contruction site
Jana, 18 Mar 2011
    • Jana
      March 2011
    • kiang
      Where in the zoo is this?
    • Maguari
      It's on some former antelope paddocks and the woods behind (the former inhabitants of the paddocks all seem to be on the large mixed African paddock with the giraffes).

You can see the location here: http://www.zoochat.com/416/map-recent-upcoming-developments-prague-24-a-153196/

Looks like it's coming along well - hoping to be there again in 2012 and looking forward to seeing this. The current elephant/hippo house is one of the very few remaining outdated exhibits in the zoo.
    • kiang
      Thanks for the prompt and in depth response maguari :)
    • Maguari
      No worries! :)

I'm stuck at home on call for work this weekend so being prompt and in depth will not be a problem today. :D
    • Jana
      A small warning - both new houses should not be completed and open for public before spring 2013.This is the last available time plan.
    • reduakari
      Where is the new hippo house located in the zoo?
    • Sun Wukong
      And what is going to be kept in the old elephant/hippo house?
    • Maguari
      Ah, well. I'll have to look forward to seeing how far along they are then. :D
    • Jana
      The new hippo house is located in the former sable antelope paddock, directly behind the northern zoo entrance.

The old pachyderm house should be trasformed into "Amazonia". The reptile curator has a free hand to come up with proposals/plans for future exhibits. It is still open what will live there, probably a mix of smaller animals with emphasis on cold-blooded ones.
      But with funds becoming scarcier every day, it is all still just a big wish. I see the possibility that the recontruction will not come immediatelly after the elephant move and the old house will be temporary filled with some undemanding mammal species (capybara&Co.).
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Prague Zoo Praha
    Uploaded By:
    Jana
    Date:
    18 Mar 2011
    View Count:
    Comment Count: