littleRedPanda

New enclosures

New enclosures
littleRedPanda, 2 Mar 2019
TheGerenuk likes this.
    • littleRedPanda
      Maybe for the Japanese macaques recently rescued from a Spanish 'farm'
    • snowleopard
      Is there any kind of legislation in the U.K. in terms of the size of primate enclosures? These new exhibits aren't very aesthetically pleasing and they aren't large either. Another photo in the gallery shows a Japanese Macaque cage (probably temporary) that is even smaller! Some type of marmoset or tamarin would perhaps be appropriate in these metal, box-like cages but any large primate wouldn't be feasible due to space restraints.
    • littleRedPanda
      @snowleopard the aesthetics are not a concern, as they market themselves as a sanctuary for the animals and not a place for humans to stare at them :confused:
    • snowleopard
      @littleRedPanda That may be true, but the size of the primate cages is a little dodgy and the chimp enclosure is horrendous. Also, if funding allowed for a series of more aesthetically pleasing exhibits around the grounds then attendance would triple and more money could be allocated to the 'sanctuary'.
    • littleRedPanda
      @snowleopard to be honest, I don't understand what the sanctuary is about and what their long term plan is, apart from campaigning against mistreatment of animals and zoos in general; they have a slideshow playing in the eating area which I didn't stop to watch, but was highlighting the 'failings' of German zoos.
      Considering they had no experience of exotic animals before they offered an alternative to extermination for some chimps at a local zoo, the couple have done well with regards to prolonging the lives of what they have. Do they want to attract outside investment, greater footfall and expand? Something tells me they don't.
      snowleopard likes this.
    • FunkyGibbon
      @snowleopard These cages certainly look pretty grim, and knowing Wales I have severe misgivings about how exposed they are. However, Europe (and the rest of the world) is full of zoos that exhibit medium-sized primates in exhibits this size. For the most part they don't attract too much negative comment (even though I agree they are not ideal space wise) and I dare say that the primates do pretty well in them as long as they are well furnished.
    • littleRedPanda
      @snowleopard @FunkyGibbon I've been looking at other sanctuaries, as I'm curious to know who WAMS are referring to in the statement "In contrast to the three other centres for primates in Europe, Wales Ape & Monkey Sanctuary pursues a strict no-way-back-to-a-zoo philosophy."
      Fundacion MONA have said they have the same policy.
    • KevinB
      I am really starting to take a dislike to some - admittedly not all, as some sanctuaries do cooperate with and rehome animals in good zoos - sanctuaries' aggresive and blanket anti-captivity and anti-zoo messages.

We do need animal sanctuaries in this world, sadly, to take care of animals that have become the victims of irresponsible people, but I very much dislike how so many of these centers seem to be dominated by the pernicious animal rights ideology.
    • Chlidonias
      @littleRedPanda - re their "the three other centres for primates in Europe", surely there are more than three just in England alone? Off the top of my head I can think of Monkey World, The Woolly Monkey sanctuary in Cornwall, and Monkey Haven on the Isle of Wight - and I don't even know anything about primate sanctuaries in Europe!
    • TeaLovingDave
      @FunkyGibbon

However, Europe (and the rest of the world) is full of zoos that exhibit medium-sized primates in exhibits this size. For the most part they don't attract too much negative comment (even though I agree they are not ideal space wise) and I dare say that the primates do pretty well in them as long as they are well furnished.

The main difference is that most - if not all - of the zoos in question don't spend half their time loudly proclaiming how anti-zoo they are, and how their enclosures are de-facto better by dint of the fact they don't identify as a zoo :p
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Wales Ape & Monkey Sanctuary
    Uploaded By:
    littleRedPanda
    Date:
    2 Mar 2019
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    148.6 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1200px
    Height:
    710px
    Aperture:
    f/16.0
    Make:
    NIKON CORPORATION
    Model:
    NIKON D7000
    Date / Time:
    2019:03:01 14:21:33
    Exposure Time:
    10/2000 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 560
    Focal Length:
    18 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).