Join our zoo community
Arizona Docent

New Event Pavillion (in savanna)

April 29, 2019

New Event Pavillion (in savanna)
Arizona Docent, 30 Apr 2019
DelacoursLangur likes this.
    • Arizona Docent
      This is a new (and IMO troubling) addition since my last visit. Previously this entire area was African savanna with zebras, ostriches, gazelles. Now roughly one third of the savanna has been taken over by this event pavillion and only the zebras remain.
    • StoppableSan
      @Arizona Docent This is downright hideous! Obscene! I mean... did they honestly give a second thought as to the location of the events pavilion? This isn't Africa (or even a decent attempt at replicating Africa) this is... there could have been many other ways to handle this! Like building a parking garage and placing the pavilion on the soon-to-be-empty plot of land! Or better yet, why not underground, with little crater-shaped windows looking out at the savannas? Like so:
      [​IMG]
    • Arizona Docent
      Yes I was honestly shocked when I saw this (having seen the area a few years ago before this was added). The view from the lion exhibit is also ruined. And it takes up so much of the savanna that they can't have the mix they had before (or so I presume, but it could be the animals had to be separated for other reasons prior to this addition).

I am sure for people using the pavilion at night it is quite nice to stand there and be right among the zebras. But for regular day visitors looking from the outside, it is indeed hideous.
    • StoppableSan
      @Arizona Docent Between this and Reid Park's serious downsize in terms of species, things are indeed looking bleak! I'd imagine in order to win your favor back, they'd add caracal, serval, African wildcat, something interesting to detract from... THIS!

EDIT: I just thought of a way to retheme this into something coherent! An airplane hangar!
    • Arizona Docent
      El Paso is adding puma and jaguar this Fall, so that is something. I only went there for the ocelots kittens, which made the entire trip worthwhile. (Plus my first visit to White Sands National Monument the night before, another plus).
      StoppableSan likes this.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    El Paso Zoo
    Uploaded By:
    Arizona Docent
    Date:
    30 Apr 2019
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    107.5 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    800px
    Height:
    533px
    Aperture:
    f/5.6
    Make:
    Canon
    Model:
    Canon EOS 5D Mark IV
    Date / Time:
    2019:04:29 11:33:42
    Exposure Time:
    1/1000 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 200
    Focal Length:
    16 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).