Join our zoo community
mhale

New gorilla extension at Chessington Zoo, 25 June 2010

New gorilla extension at Chessington Zoo, 25 June 2010
mhale, 26 Jun 2010
    • Pertinax
      It looks about 3/4's finished to me. I'm wondering if they will have glass panels where there isn't any mesh at the front.

It looks even more like a Howletts enclosure than the older cage. Presumably they've built some more offshow sleeping areas at the back and the whole complex (old and new) interconnects. Maybe the main 'Damisi' group will be put in here?
    • Titus
      You were able to get much closer to this than I was!
    • MARK
      I was also thinking it looked very much like the Howletts cages
    • JamesB
      Doesn't look too bad to me. Where is this in relation to the original gorilla enclosure... the left or right side of it?
    • Pertinax
      It is between the existing enclosure and the Tigers.
    • robmv
      Any update on this? I have the chance to visit at the end of October but would like to wait until the Gorilla enclosure is finished ...
    • Pertinax
      same for me. There hasn't been any news about it for quite a while.
    • Conservoclock
      Shame its not an island like london zoo or an open top exhibit like busch gardens, its not like merlin dont have the money, just another big cage with big black bars. Argue space is an issue, you need it for a moat but not for an open top natural wall exhibit.Imageshack - lostforestgorillatropic.jpg - Uploaded by geomorph
    • Zambar
      I think you'll find many people (at least from the UK) will strongly disagree. ;) While it's (sometimes) attractive, open exhibits can prove to be very boring and insecure for the gorilla, and giant cages like the ones here and at the Aspinall Parks prove to be much more stimulating with the climbing, foraging and shelter avaliable, so breed and prosper successfully.
    • Conservoclock
      Whilst I can see your point that a giant cage provides climbing and I am fully aware the aspinall parks have them but they also have the largest open exhibit too. However I have seen open exhibits that are beautifully planted, have natural climbing frames much higher than the roof of any cold metal cage. and many enrichment activities intergrated in the exhibit to keep gorillas occupied. Last time i checked there where no big black hunks of cages containing gorillas behind bars in west/central Africa to keep gorillas feeling secure.
      Surely any animal lover does not want to see animals behind bars and rather in a more natural exhibit?
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Chessington Zoo
    Uploaded By:
    mhale
    Date:
    26 Jun 2010
    View Count:
    Comment Count: