Join our zoo community
jusko88

new orangutan exhibit

new orangutan exhibit
jusko88, 26 May 2014
    • zoomaniac
      Jesus! What's that? A bungee jumping park? Or a climbing area to train soldiers or circus acrobats? Ugly, ugly, ugly. And the only natural element is the gras for the mostly tree dwelling orangs?
    • Pertinax
      Am I right in thinking the idea is they come out of the den, and straight up the tall ladder thing onto the O line walkway above? So this enclosure is just a starting point, maybe not on public view either.

Attractiveness- 0 points.:(
    • jbnbsn99
      I didn't think that this exhibit could look any worse.

Apparently, I was wrong.
    • Chlidonias
      so from all these recent photos it does look like the whole building is just sterile cells for indoor holdings, then there's this patch of empty grass for the orangs to access the cables and platforms on the O-line? Is that about right? Is there anything else to it?
    • snowleopard
    • Ituri
      Newer is not always better...
    • Zooplantman
      Given the similarities, I'd be interested to learn of any visitor surveys from Smithsoniam NZP of what visitors learned about orangs, their habitat, conservation efforts there, etc. Does this approach really work for wild orangs (any better or worse than at any other orang exhibit). For my money THAT is the purpose of the project.
    • StoppableSan
      Ways to improve this outdoor yard... Maybe add a greenwall that grows clematis to ass a "tropical" look, heavily plant the yard, maybe some fabricated rock wherever necessary. I'd love to see that happen, but one can only dream.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Indianapolis Zoo
    Uploaded By:
    jusko88
    Date:
    26 May 2014
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    196 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1200px
    Height:
    1600px
    Aperture:
    f/9.7
    Make:
    SONY
    Model:
    DSC-H200
    Date / Time:
    2014:05:24 10:29:23
    Exposure Time:
    1/100 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 80
    Focal Length:
    4 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).