Join our zoo community
Deer Forest

newcome white rhinoceros male#2 and femle#2

newcome white rhinoceros male#2 and femle#2
Deer Forest, 7 Jun 2015
    • Kifaru Bwana
      @Deer Forest, you are saying they have 2.2 pairs of white rhino freshly imported now?

If they keep them in a loose herd situation they are more likely to breed! Bulls are territorial and monopolize breeding females ...
    • Deer Forest
      Do you means keep the four rhinos together?
    • Kifaru Bwana
      More or less. Two males with both females is suicidal, one male / bull to the two females. Both bulls alternating ....

Back to question: these 4 rhinos are recent imports? :confused:
      When, where .... et cetera????
    • Deer Forest
      The four white rhinos came from South Africa last November. It's very easy to buy white rhinos from South Africa now, and they are sold very cheaply, so many Chinese zoos are doing this.

Sorry I still don't understand. Now we keep the four rhinos in two enclosures. One male and One female together, another male and another female together. It that okay?
    • Kifaru Bwana
      @Deer Forest.

I meant: for white rhino in a herd situation it is essential to maintain just one bull with 2 or more cows. This is to promote breeding in the best conditions as would happen in the wild. Bulls will singly maintain a territority and more or less keep a harem herd. They do not like to have another bull in with them.

In zoo environments it is not advised to keep just - and within the European EAZA breeding program it is now recommended - to not maintain white rhino in pairwise situations. Under those circumstances the M / F pair will almost certainly start to establish a sibling behavior pattern whereby they come to see oneanother as brother sister and this will prevent them from breeding and/or establishing a dominance / social structure and hierarchy normal for adult breeding rhinos.

I would suggest you bring this to the attention of senior zoo curatorial staff. I can send you as per pm data on rhino social behavior and breeding recommendations and housing specifications (EEP/EAZA set up) if you so wish.
    • Deer Forest
      Thank you a lot Kifaru Bwana, for sure I would bring your suggestions to the senior curatorial staff of Beijing Zoo.

To be more specifically, this picture shows our outdoor & indoor enclosures and the domain division of rhinoceros. So in your opinion how to arrange the rhinoceros and enclosures would be the best?
      [​IMG]
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Beijing Zoo
    Uploaded By:
    Deer Forest
    Date:
    7 Jun 2015
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    286.7 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1600px
    Height:
    1200px
    Aperture:
    f/4.0
    Make:
    FUJIFILM
    Model:
    FinePix S6500fd
    Date / Time:
    2015:06:06 03:57:21
    Exposure Time:
    10/2500 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 1600
    Focal Length:
    36.1 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).