snowleopard

Nile Crocodile Exhibit

July 26th, 2012.

Nile Crocodile Exhibit
snowleopard, 28 Aug 2012
    • snowleopard
      July 26th, 2012.
    • DavidBrown
      Was this exhibit for young Nile crocs or full grown ones? It looks pretty dinky for a full grown croc - or was there more to the exhibit?

The thought of seeing all the species of crocs in one place sounds very attractive. Did you get croc fatigue after awhile or were you still into see them all by the end of your visit?
    • snowleopard
      There was a medium-sized Nile crocodile in the shade of the tree, but it was not a huge one by any means. I physically saw at least one specimen of all 23 species of crocodilian and that was a true thrill because I ticked them all off in a couple of hours. To be perfectly honest I was excited for the entire journey around the park, and there really aren't any bad exhibits. Some of the pools are fairly small but crocodilians are easy to please and the many species of caiman seemed fine having average-sized pools. The Indian gharial exhibit is the real stunner, but there seems to be a conscious effort to add various primate habitats (6 species) and bird aviaries to the park so that St. Augustine is not viewed as yet another basic Florida gator farm.
      Hipporex likes this.
    • DavidBrown
      This is definitely on my "must see" list when I get to Florida someday. Thanks for posting all the pictures and for the review.
    • jbnbsn99
      I think they have 24 species now with C. suchus.
    • Ituri
      Do they have both niloticus and suchus?
    • snowleopard
      Someone else might have the answer to that question, but there are a number of signs at St. Augustine declaring the park to be the only one on the planet with all 23 species of crocodilian and so a 24th might mess things up for them! It does appear legitimate that there are now 2 Nile crocs to tick off lifetime lists.

I wonder if crocodilian taxonomy will be taken over by "splitters" in the future, as for example hoofstock has become incredibly confusing. Isn't there a staggering number of bushbuck, or klipspringer...or lesser-spotted, red-crowned, hairy-necked, four-horned, polka-dotted greater gazelles?;)
    • Gulo gulo
      @Ituri, St. Augustine, has both on display. Their one and only C. suchus, is the only known one in the U.S.
    • jbnbsn99
      I believe that that individual was the one used in the genetic tests to confirm the existence of C. suchus. Interestingly, C. suchus is much more closely related to the Cuban Crocodile than it is to the Nile.
    • Hipporex
      Unfortunately with the recent splitting of the slender-snouted crocodile into M. cataphractus and M. leptorhynchus, this facility can presumably no longer truthfully claim the title of housing every crocodilian species. Plus the whole Osteolaemus debacle still needs to be sorted out.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    St. Augustine Alligator Farm Zoological Park
    Uploaded By:
    snowleopard
    Date:
    28 Aug 2012
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    333.9 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1600px
    Height:
    1200px
    Aperture:
    f/3.3
    Make:
    Panasonic
    Model:
    DMC-ZS5
    Date / Time:
    2012:07:26 13:41:03
    Exposure Time:
    10/5000 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 100
    Focal Length:
    4.1 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).