Join our zoo community
Nocturnal House
ZooElephantMan, 22 Aug 2022
    • Neil chace
      Which species were kept in this building at the time of your visit? I know the zoo's currently working on (or will be soon) re-vamping some of this building, and if I'm correct there should be a few empty exhibits right now?
    • ZooElephantMan
      @Neil chace On the day I visited, more than half of the exhibits in the nocturnal house were completely empty. The only 3 inhabited exhibits were for fennec fox, corn snake, and bush-tailed bettong.

All of these exhibits were well illuminated (instead of being kept dark or using red light), which surprised me for a nocturnal house.

Do you have any details or links to articles about the re-vamping, or any info on what species may be added?
      Neil chace likes this.
    • Neil chace
      @ZooElephantsMan yeah the building used to be much darker (Red light), but since COVID it's been a Nocturnal House in name only. Apparently the dark lighting would've made social distancing more difficult or something along those lines, I forget. And then they started work on some of the exhibits so haven't turned back to a reverse light cycle. Once all the work is done, to the best of knowledge it will not return to being a Nocturnal House- and take on a new theme that I am not at liberty to discuss, including some new species, possibly moving one species in there from another zoo section, and adding at least one new exhibit in the center of the hallway. Former inhabitants of this building (not all at the same time- over the past decade and a half) include:
      - Red-rumped Agouti
      - Grey-legged Douroculi
      - Pygmy Slow Loris
      - Giant Hairy and Six-banded Armadillos
      - Diadem Snake
      - Mexican Red-kneed Tarantula
      - Chaco Golden-kneed Tarantula
      - Giant Rococco Toad
      - Eastern Screech Owl
      - Hoffmann's Two-toed Sloth
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Capron Park Zoo
    Uploaded By:
    ZooElephantMan
    Date:
    22 Aug 2022
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    3.1 MB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    4032px
    Height:
    3024px
    Aperture:
    f/1.8
    Make:
    Apple
    Model:
    iPhone SE (2nd generation)
    Date / Time:
    2022:08:20 11:12:40
    Exposure Time:
    1/30 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 640
    Focal Length:
    3.99 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).