Join our zoo community
Maguari

Nocturnal Hut Exterior at Jihlava, 31/05/10

The ground-level exhibits inside have Long-eared and White-bellied Hedgehogs, the branches and roof space above have Rodrigues Fruit Bats, Pygmy Slow Loris and Common Scops Owl.

Nocturnal Hut Exterior at Jihlava, 31/05/10
Maguari, 11 Jul 2010
    • Maguari
      The ground-level exhibits inside have Long-eared and White-bellied Hedgehogs, the branches and roof space above have Rodrigues Fruit Bats, Pygmy Slow Loris and Common Scops Owl.
    • Ituri
      wow, doing so good until you got to 2 of the last 3...
    • Maguari
      In fairness, the actual exhibit itself makes no claim to be African themed. But it is in an African Village area.
    • Ituri
      So isn't placing it withing an African Village area in and of itself a claim to be African themed?
    • Maguari
      I don't think it's binding - it's not called the Kruger Nocturnal Experience or anything. Just the building it's in is African-style. No different to Antwerp's Elephant/Giraffe house in an Egyptian temple and the same zoo's Okapi House (originally for ostriches) in a Moorish style.

I only get picky if the zoo makes specific claims!

(viz. Port Lympne's African Experience of Axis Deer...)
    • Ituri
      Ah yes, but I think a distinction should be made from an exhibit that is made in an Egyptian "style" and this exhibit, which doesn't appear to be so much in an African "style" as it is a literal interpretation of an African hut. If it were a traditional building that happened to have some African designs on the outside and/or a thatched roof I would agree with your argument a little more.
    • Maguari
      It's a pretty fine distinction, though - and I'm unwilling to mark down such a nice little exhibit on technicalities!

I wouldn't say this was particularly more themed than the Egyptian Temple: http://www.zoochat.com/35/egyptian-temple-style-elephant-house-antwerp-149651/
    • Ituri
      Alright, I will have to concede (I guess), but can we agree that it would have been nice for it to have been a potto rather than a loris?
    • Maguari
      No argument there. I'd hope for some African bats as well but as that's only likely to be Egyptians I'd rather stick with the Rodrigues. Maybe if they could get some Straw-coloureds - they're about in the CR.
    • Jana
      The lories were not a planned aquisition. They were illegally imported from Vietnam and then saized at the Prague airport some years ago. Because Jihlava has good results with smaller monkeys (Callithricidae and lemurs), they were asked by the authority to accept the weak animals.
      After they recovered, they were placed in the Amazonian house, but they were of course invisible in the normal day exhibit. So they were moved into this hut, where they both trive and make a good exhibit.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Zoologická Zahrada Jihlava
    Uploaded By:
    Maguari
    Date:
    11 Jul 2010
    View Count:
    Comment Count: