Join our zoo community
Maguari

Northern Bottlenose Whale, Bay of Biscay 10/06/15

Northern Bottlenose Whale, Bay of Biscay 10/06/15
Maguari, 9 Jul 2015
Hammy likes this.
    • Maguari
      Ziphius cavirostris

Taken from the Portsmouth-Santander ferry.

The fin is tall for a Cuvier\'s and the guide from ORCA who ID\'d this has since sent off her photos for expert checking just in case it\'s the considerably less-often sighted Northern Bottlenose Whale - unfortunately none of the photos show the beak clearly, which would settle this very quickly. I strongly believe the original ID is the correct one as she did see the head and they are very different - I was a fraction later seeing it and missed the beak, which wasn\'t visible on the later rolls of the whale\'s back. ORCA\'s data is used for actual scientific monitoring though so she\'s quite right to get it checked.

Regardless of whether the ID opinion changes, it\'s a whole new family for me.
    • Maguari
      I've just been informed that ORCA's ID expert is '90%' certain this is indeed a Northern Bottlenose Whale, Hyperoodon ampullatus, based on the photos taken by the ORCA representative!
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Spain - Wildlife
    Uploaded By:
    Maguari
    Date:
    9 Jul 2015
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    204 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1600px
    Height:
    1071px
    Aperture:
    f/5.6
    Make:
    NIKON CORPORATION
    Model:
    NIKON D80
    Date / Time:
    2015:06:10 15:53:26
    Exposure Time:
    10/5000 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 110
    Focal Length:
    300 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).