March 5th, 2011.

Northern Fur Seal Exhibit
snowleopard, 6 Mar 2011
    • snowleopard
      March 5th, 2011.
    • kiang
      Not the biggest is it?
    • KCZooFan
      Im guessing this isn't the whole exhibit, as there is no visible land.
    • kiang
      Looking at the photo, i would say that wedge of rock behind pointing to the top left of the photo seems to be their land area, also the additional plexiglass on the left seems to denote the enclosure boundary.

Unless of course the pool goes under said rock to another area?
    • snowleopard
      It is a very tiny exhibit that is home to at least 3 northern fur seals, and the land area is the steep rocky cliff that is in this photo. Seattle Aquarium has some splendid indoor areas, a terrific bird section with 3 habitats...but the outdoor marine mammal area is over 30 years old and well past its due date. Northern fur seals, harbour seals and sea otters all exist in enclosures that are far too small for the inhabitants.
    • kiang
      Thanks for the confirmation snowleopard.
    • KCZooFan
      Maybe this photo doesn't do it justice, but this exhibit looks pitiful. For once, I agree with snowleopard; bring in the bulldozers!
    • snowleopard
      Interestingly enough there are only 12 Northern fur seals on display in American aquariums, and 3 of them are at the Seattle facility. The breeding-age male from this aquarium was recently sent to Mystic Aquarium in Connecticut, where there is more space for the seals in a larger exhibit.
    • Shirokuma
      I felt that the marine mammal exhibits were Seattle Aquarium's main weakness. The river otter enclosure is attractive, the aviaries are very nice and there are some great tanks in the main building making a great first impression but I thought these were very poor and viewing isn't great in all enclosures either.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Seattle Aquarium
    Uploaded By:
    snowleopard
    Date:
    6 Mar 2011
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    287.2 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1600px
    Height:
    1200px
    Aperture:
    f/3.3
    Make:
    Panasonic
    Model:
    DMC-ZS5
    Date / Time:
    2011:03:05 14:23:34
    Exposure Time:
    10/3200 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 400
    Focal Length:
    4.1 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).