adrian1963

NORTHERN PINE SNAKE

NORTHERN PINE SNAKE
adrian1963, 28 Nov 2009
    • adrian1963
      now then all together this is not a Burmese Python
      help me find out what it is
    • Zambar
      To me that looks like a Western Hognose Snake.
    • EvilKittie
      they dont have hogsnakes in the zoo,

my first guess was a kingsnake but the markings are wrong :eek: im confused
    • Hix
      Snakes of the same species can vary quite differently in their markings, from one individual to another. Relying on illustrations to identify a species is not always an accurate way to do things (as you recently discovered). In many cases the best way to identify a snake with certainty is to count the scales.

I have no idea what species is in the picture above, but I'm reasonable certain the snake is a species of culubrid. I would say your guess of kingsnake is pretty close, but I don't know which species. A profile shot of the head would help.
    • adrian1963
      I'll try and get one next time if they've put a name board up it may help
    • JerseyLotte
      It's a northern pine snake, Pituophis melanoleucus

A special place in my heart, a 7' specimen called Malcolm started by love affair with herps, a wonderful species.
    • EvilKittie
      lolz, they have both species and they look the same, but thanks lotte

got kingsnake in the DC and the pinesnakes (used to be with rat snakes) in the reptile house
    • JerseyLotte
      Identification tips ;) ;

Kingsnakes (and milksnakes) are of the genus "Lampropeltis", meaning literally "shiny shield". These snakes are named because of their exceptionally smooth and shiny, delicate scales.
      All Lampropeltis are snub nosed, with a very rounded snout.

Here is a typical Californian Kingsnake, Lampropeltis getula californiae;
      [​IMG]

The Northern Pine in the picture is a Pituophis (meaning literally Hissing - Snake). This genus is comprised of large heavy bodied (for colubrids) snakes with an adapted rostral scale, this is visible even in the pic above, the snake has a very pointed elongated snout, the head is a teardrop shape from above.
      This genus also have large, strongly keeled, matt, rough scales.

Like I keep saying, identification is a skill, the average British person probably knows the difference between a fox and a badger but the birds in their garden are just "birds". It is an ability to remember and identify key characteristics and differences in morphology. :)
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Dudley Zoological Gardens
    Uploaded By:
    adrian1963
    Date:
    28 Nov 2009
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    321.4 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1600px
    Height:
    1071px
    Aperture:
    f/5.6
    Make:
    NIKON CORPORATION
    Model:
    NIKON D60
    Date / Time:
    2009:11:17 13:39:06
    Exposure Time:
    10/80 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 1600
    Focal Length:
    55 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).