snowleopard

Northern Trail - Viewing Platform - Black-Footed Ferret Exhibit

Aug. 4th, 2014.

Northern Trail - Viewing Platform - Black-Footed Ferret Exhibit
snowleopard, 1 Sep 2014
    • snowleopard
      Aug. 4th, 2014.
    • Arizona Docent
      Great. I wonder if this is currently the only public black footed ferret exhibit? (The two or three I have seen in the past are all gone - probably because the ferrets are nocturnal and I never actually saw one in the exhibits).
    • snowleopard
      I've seen the species at several zoos in the past but there has been a tendency for those exhibits to close down. Dakota Zoo and NEW Zoo are 2 facilities on my latest road trip that had the species on show to the public.
    • Arizona Docent
      But the question is, did you ever actually see a live animal?
    • snowleopard
      Huddled in a hole and ignoring the general public.:)
    • Chlidonias
      the black-footed ferrets which are used for display/education in zoos are older animals (to free up off-display space for younger breeding stock). All the breeding is done in non-public/off-display facilities. I'd imagine the breeders are retired at around 3 or 4 years old, so the ones which go to zoos for display would only be living another 2 or 3 years anyway.

There may be an element of "these are boring, replace them with something more active" but equally it is probably as much to do with availability of suitable individuals.
    • elefante
      Are there no nocturnal exhibits for this species anywhere?
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Northeastern Wisconsin Zoo & Adventure Park
    Uploaded By:
    snowleopard
    Date:
    1 Sep 2014
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    301.1 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1600px
    Height:
    1200px
    Aperture:
    f/3.4
    Make:
    Panasonic
    Model:
    DMC-ZS5
    Date / Time:
    2014:08:04 11:01:04
    Exposure Time:
    10/250 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 400
    Focal Length:
    5 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).