Join our zoo community
Dan

Not so nice to visit the polar bears this Sunday...

... as it is getting all to evident that the female displays more and more types of steretotyphic behavior every time I see her. I get all the more saddened when I watch the visitors in general cheering her manic jumping up towards them, calling it playful behaviour. "LOOK SWEETIE", all the parents cry out loud to their children, "THE BEAR WANTS TO PLAY!!!!!!!" Fortunately the male bear keeps on being content. He plays with whatever toy/enrichment item he has available. A pity that The Arctic Ring is only planned - years will pass before it is completed. I hope the female will not go totally crazy until then. But I fear she might will.

Not so nice to visit the polar bears this Sunday...
Dan, 6 Dec 2009
    • Dan
      ... as it is getting all to evident that the female displays more and more types of steretotyphic behavior every time I see her.

I get all the more saddened when I watch the visitors in general cheering her manic jumping up towards them, calling it playful behaviour.

LOOK SWEETIE, all the parents cry out loud to their children, THE BEAR WANTS TO PLAY!!!!!!!

Fortunately the male bear keeps on being content. He plays with whatever toy/enrichment item he has available.

I watched a keeper throwing fish into the enclosure. The male happily dived into the water and ate the fish. The female just looked at was what was going on. Heartbreakingly sad to watch.

A pity that The Arctic Ring is only planned - years will pass before it is completed. I hope the female will not go totally crazy until then. But I fear she might will.
    • Toddy
      The Arctic Ring will be completed in 2012. But there is not guarantee that the new exhibit will fix her steretotyphic behavior as she came to Copenhagen with it and has had it since she was very young.
    • James27
      And it doesn't necessarily mean she's "insane", just a habit she's picked up.
    • Dan
      Yeah... let´s hope so...

But from watching her once or twice a month I wouldn´t bet on it. Like I said, I don´t like what I see here. let´s just hope that in a couple of years from now, when she is is let out into the new exhibit, her behaviour will change.
    • Baldur
      Where did they come from? Both from the same collection?
    • Dan
      No, I believe the female came from Itay and the male from somewhere in the east., perhaps Poland or Russia?

Maybe Toddy will clarify?
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Zoo København
    Uploaded By:
    Dan
    Date:
    6 Dec 2009
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    308 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1600px
    Height:
    1071px
    Aperture:
    f/4.0
    Make:
    NIKON CORPORATION
    Model:
    NIKON D60
    Date / Time:
    2009:12:06 13:01:08
    Exposure Time:
    10/600 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 400
    Focal Length:
    70 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).