Join our zoo community
Pertinax

Nothing to see here folks...

Nothing to see here folks...
Pertinax, 9 Dec 2017
    • Pertinax
      The Australian exhibit- basically a large empty space.
    • JigerofLemuria
      I would really reconsider giving the mappin terraces a makeover; maybe keep the Australian fauna (and add more ;) ) and have a path that goes around the top instead of a mere balcony. What I think is missing is proximity between the visitors and the animals.
    • ThylacineAlive
      I was sad seeing this area being wasted like this- and I'd never even seen it in its prime.

~Thylo
    • pipaluk
      @ThylacineAlive
      I saw it, it wouldn't be acceptable by modern standards as 6 bear enclosures, but should be good enough for one!
    • StoppableSan
      @pipaluk A redeveloped modern Polar Bear complex would be nice, keeping the mountains, and landscaping it like Detroit's Arctic Ring of Life or Point Defiance's Arctic Tundra. Maybe a side exhibit for lemmings, arctic fox, ground squirrel and snowy owls on the actual mountains would help. Or better yet, turn the mountain area into an aviary for arctic ducks and migratory birds. All in all, wishful thinking. :p
    • ThylacineAlive
      @Wyman or the mountain area could be redeveloped for a Caprine :p

~Thylo
    • FunkyGibbon
      I think ZSL would struggle to 'sell' a polar bear exhibit here, especially given what HWP and YWP have done.
      IF it could be done, in terms of renovation, it'd be fun to see Bharal and Markhor on the hills and Asiatic Black Bear on a drastically remodelled slope below them.
      Maybe Polars at Whipsnade....
    • Pertinax
      @FunkyGibbon I agree Polar Bear would be far more suitable for Whipsnade- its almost an obvious species for them.

ZSL currently seem good at, or prefer, building new exhibits incorporating what was already there before to an extent- Gorilla Kingdom, Tiger Territory and Lions all incorporate mixtures of old and new. I think your Asian idea for the Mappins might work well- if the current higher viewing levels are unsafe then they could construct new raised walkways such as there are in the Tiger and Lion areas. It would add some much needed major species as well as utilising this area a lot better than it is at present.
    • StoppableSan
      @Balalaika @pipaluk @FunkyGibbon @Pertinax I just had an idea for what to do with the mountains. Snow Leopards. Maybe a complex for Siberian Ibex and Sichuan Takin and in the lower portion, a habitat for some himalayan bird species and red panda. Or, build the aforementioned Polar Bear complex, and have the underwater viewing area be right next to the Aquarium entrance.
      pipaluk likes this.
    • FunkyGibbon
      @Wyman Snow leopards was something I was toying with as well, but you'd probably have to net the mountains which would ruin the look of them. Plus I think you'd need to give them part of the lower slopes as well. But it would be an excellent addition to the zoo.

Of course, even if the work to the Aquarium is good enough to support them long term, the mountains themselves will presumably need to be completely rebuilt. The good news is that this will have to happen at some point, and the worse their condition gets, I imagine the more likely it is ZSL will receive serious external funding :)
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    ZSL London Zoo
    Uploaded By:
    Pertinax
    Date:
    9 Dec 2017
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    2.3 MB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    2592px
    Height:
    1944px
    Aperture:
    f/3.5
    Make:
    SONY
    Model:
    DSC-W810
    Date / Time:
    2017:12:07 12:04:56
    Exposure Time:
    1/80 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 100
    Focal Length:
    4.6 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).