Join our zoo community
zooboy28

Numbat - Healesville Sanctuary 2013

Healesville Sanctuary 9/7/2013 An exciting new species in the recently renovated Nocturnal House.

Numbat - Healesville Sanctuary 2013
zooboy28, 21 Jul 2013
    • zooboy28
      Healesville Sanctuary 9/7/2013

An exciting new species in the recently renovated Nocturnal House.
    • TeaLovingDave
      Exciting indeed; this is one of the species on my bucket list :p
    • IanRRobinson
      Deeply envious. Along with Flat-headed Cat, Mountain Tapir, Dugong, and Gerenuk, a prime member of the club of mammal species that I haven't seen and want to.
    • zooboy28
      Well you aren't too far from Gerenuk now, and if you can make it to Australia you can see captive Numbat and Dugong fairly easily!

Mountain Tapir and Gerenuk are both pretty high on my list too, but I don't think I'll be seeing them anytime soon.
    • zooboy28
    • Hix
      A shame it's in the Nocturnal House, as they are diurnal animals. Still, considering it's in the Nocturnal House - a good photo!
      Goura likes this.
    • Chlidonias
      that was something I was confused about as well. Why is it in the nocturnal house? From this photo I made an assumption that it was either in one of the outside enclosures at the nocturnal house, or in a lit indoor enclosure, rather than being an actual nocturnal exhibit?
    • zooboy28
      I didn't realise they were diurnal, just assumed they were nocturnal because they were in the nocturnal house!

There are no outdoor enclosures at the nocturnal house, but the wombat and Tasmanian devil enclosures are nearby. This is a fully indoor, and relatively dark enclosure, although perhaps less dark than the other exhibits. The numbat is under the heat lamp. The photo below was taken on my camera's "night mode", then I switched to normal for the photo above.
    • zooboy28
      Ok, so its not actually a nocturnal exhibit! The Numbat is a retired breeding female from Perth, and the exhibit is in fact fully-lit, but the glass has been heavily tinted, so that it looks like the rest of the nocturnal exhibits! Its very well done.
    • DavidBrown
      Come on out to LA, Ian, and we can take care of the gerenuk and the tapir.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Healesville Sanctuary
    Uploaded By:
    zooboy28
    Date:
    21 Jul 2013
    View Count:
    Comment Count: