Join our zoo community
Hippo

Nutria exhibit

The nutria exhibit, in the renovated 'Hippotopia' (2013).

Nutria exhibit
Hippo, 17 Jun 2013
    • Hippo
      The nutria exhibit, in the renovated \'Hippotopia\' (2013).
    • PAT
      I'm glad they have a new exhibit. Their last one was quite small and empty. Is the exhibit on both sides of the boardwalk?
    • PAT
    • Chlidonias
      that looks amazing! I keep seeing photos of coypu enclosures which are basically concrete and pond. This one looks fantastic.
    • IanRRobinson
      Coypu are interesting and active animals, much more so than Beavers. With the nefarious feral population in East Anglia long gone, I wonder if a (well-fenced!) population shouldn't have a place in UK zoos?
    • Chlidonias
      I have something in my head that says it is illegal to hold coypu in captivity in the UK due to the risk of them escaping and re-establishing wild populations. However I think that must be wrong because I found this link which says they can be held under permit: Natural England - Non native species
    • Brum
      I thought that Wildwood in Kent held them until fairly recently, could be wrong though? :confused:

EDIT :- After checking ZTL it appears that Wildwood didn't hold them but Wickid Pets in Wolverhampton had them until last year and Chester held them until 1996. I don't recall seeing them at Chester when I was younger but they would have left when I was 11 so maybe they were something I overlooked on my earliest visits.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    ZOO Antwerpen
    Uploaded By:
    Hippo
    Date:
    17 Jun 2013
    View Count:
    Comment Count: