Join our zoo community
KCZooFan

Oceania

Just bored this afternoon and decided to make an exhibit. It is split into for sections: Reptile House, New Zealand, Papua New Guinea, and Australia. I am open to any constructive criticism. Enjoy:)

Oceania
KCZooFan, 8 Nov 2010
German Zoo World likes this.
    • KCZooFan
      Just bored this afternoon and decided to make an exhibit. It is split into for sections: Reptile House, New Zealand, Papua New Guinea, and Australia. I am open to any constructive criticism. Enjoy:)
    • Chlidonias
      well leaving aside the fact that you would never get half the species you've listed (as I'm sure you're aware), my constructive criticisms are as follows...

1) it would be a bad idea to house black swan with blue duck, a worse idea to house either with wrybill, and what is kagu doing in there?
      2) it would be near on impossible to keep glossy swiftlets alive
      3) how do you intend on displaying the marsupial mole (given that they are subterranean)?
      4) the gastric-brooding frogs are extinct
    • KCZooFan
      Thanks Chlidonias:)

Yes I am aware that many of these animals would be impossible to obtain, especiall in the United States.

1.Please elaborate. And the kagu (and New Caledonian gecko) were just added because New Caledonia is near New Zealand, and te New Zealand are was lacking species.
      2.Please elaborate.
      3.I was thinking like zoos display naked mole rat. With underground glass viewing.
      4.Well, I don't have an excuse for that. My book must just be outdated (2004).
    • Chlidonias
      1) blue duck have different habitat requirements to other waterfowl, but more importantly both black swans and blue ducks can be very aggressive and territorial and it would probably end in trouble. Wrybills are very small waders and would probably be killed by the blue duck/ black swan. If the aviary was sectioned up it would work better (or just have three seperate enclosures). There are plenty of other NZ waterfowl that could be more safely mixed with black swans. New Caledonia is closer to Australia than New Zealand; I just thought it was odd putting kagu in a New Zealand aviary

2) swiftlets feed aerially on large numbers of small flying insects (eg, gnats and flies). They would be almost impossible to keep alive in captivity

3) that could work I guess (but marsupial moles are "sand-swimmers" rather than living in burrows like naked mole rats)

4) that's alright. As it is an imaginary zoo you could always fund an expedition to rediscover a lost population and then create a captive-breeding group to safeguard their future.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Fantasy Zoos
    Uploaded By:
    KCZooFan
    Date:
    8 Nov 2010
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    126.2 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    956px
    Height:
    658px

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).