Join our zoo community
snowleopard

Ocelot Exhibit

April 2009.

Ocelot Exhibit
snowleopard, 23 Apr 2009
UngulateNerd92 likes this.
    • snowleopard
      April 2009. The small cat can be seen in the top right hand corner of the photo.
    • Dan
      Never a fan of keeping ocelots in small indoors exhibits, I stubbornly keep referring to Swedish law on these cats:

Minimum requirement is an outdoor enclosure of 500 sq. meters.
    • snowleopard
      I agree that this ocelot exhibit is too small, and my personal thoughts in regards to small cat enclosures is that in 90% of the zoos that I visit the exhibits are simply too small. The problem is that if a zoo were to create spacious, naturalistic enclosures for these felines then it would be impossible to ever find them! I often leave the Woodland Park Zoo without locating the ocelots, as they must spend quite a bit of time inside their sleeping quarters. There is currently a pair of kittens there, but I did not see them on my last visit.
    • reduakari
      The ocelots used to have an off-exhibit outdoor holding area connected to the exhibit, to allow the animals to get outdoors on the rare days when the sun shines in Seattle. I believe, however, that this was replaced by the new jaguar holding building with the jaguar exhibit was added a few years ago
    • wpzkeeper
      An off-exhibit outdoor ocelot enclosure still exists at WPZ. I spoke with one of the ocelot keepers about it a week ago. She gave the impression that the outdoor enclosure was not quite as big as the indoor enclosure, but with a lot more vertical space.
    • Nanook
      I agree about the indoor enclosure bit, regardless of size, they should not be kept in an indoor exhibit, there is no reason for it.
    • CC
      Personally I don't think there's a problem with the size, it's difficult to judge just on a photo - but if that is the ocelot in the top right hand corner, the size looks appropriate to me. It might look small to us, in our anthropocentric world, but it's good for the cat, good use of vertical space, perching, lots of cover and (which is important for small cats) they can't be viewed from all sides giving them security (which is probably why they're on show). But I agree, in my opinion, it's not a good idea to house ocelot indoors - they need as much ventilation as possible as they are very pungent!
    • snowleopard
      I visit Woodland Park Zoo approximately 3 times each year and often I do not even see an ocelot as there are plenty of hiding places for the cats. The exhibit is a bit on the small side but it is well furnished with a mini stream of water along the glass. Those 3 large planters that are outside the exhibit are long gone now, but the enclosure is an effective introduction to the Rainforest Building as it is the second exhibit that visitors encounter along the winding pathway. My personal opinion is that the enclosure would perhaps be better suited (with many additional branches) to smaller animals like marmosets or tamarins.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Woodland Park Zoo
    Uploaded By:
    snowleopard
    Date:
    23 Apr 2009
    View Count:
    Comment Count: