Join our zoo community
Maguari

Okapi enclosure at Chester Zoo July 2008

Okapi enclosure at Chester Zoo July 2008
Maguari, 1 Aug 2008
    • snowleopard
      I love the thick undergrowth, and it's nice to see a zoo that doesn't take a lawnmower to some of its hoofstock enclosures.
    • okapikpr
      Mowing hoofstock yards are important when controling parasites.
    • CZJimmy
      I do believe the grass is mowed in this enclosure from time-to-time, but allowed to grow back
    • Pygathrix
      The photo gives the impression that the enclosure is bigger than it really is. The two outside paddocks are not large and in my opinion the okapi area is disappointing overall. While it is interesting to have okapis and giraffes close together the use of the old camel house (which adjoins the giraffe house) has really limited the possibilities of expansion and display.
    • camel leopard
      Its alot better than bristols tiny enclosures though.
    • James27
      It's probably about the same size as Bristol's, if not smaller, it really does look much bigger in this picture than it actually is.
    • johnstoni
      Is it bigger than London's?
    • Javan Rhino
      I agree, my first reaction at this photograph was that it looks bigger than it is. In my opinion though, Chester would have known about the eventual 'Heart of Africa' plans at the time of aquiring the Okapi and the Secret World of the Okapi is just 'temporary.' Otherwise, could they not expand into the current Visayan Warty Pig enclosure? A new bridge could cross the canal by the Andes Garden then to get to the giraffe house.
    • Maguari
      Even if HoA does not go ahead, the plan as I understand it is to demolish the Cattle House and use the land to expand the Okapi complex.
    • Javan Rhino
      Ahhh interesting :). I really hope Heart of Africa does go ahead, because that is the main part of Natural Vision, and I really look forward to seeing gorillas at the zoo. I love gorillas, but the nearest ones are at Blackpool so I don't see them that often :(.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Chester Zoo
    Uploaded By:
    Maguari
    Date:
    1 Aug 2008
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    563.3 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1600px
    Height:
    1200px
    Aperture:
    f/5.6
    Make:
    FUJIFILM
    Model:
    FinePix S7000
    Date / Time:
    2008:07:27 11:53:17
    Exposure Time:
    10/4500 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 400
    Focal Length:
    7.8 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).