Join our zoo community
Chlidonias

old baboon enclosure

September 2020

old baboon enclosure
    • Chlidonias
      Home to a troop of Hamadryas Baboons for many years but, after most of them were sent away and the remaining few males put to sleep, the enclosure sat empty for ages. Then the zoo put a couple of goats in there (the white blob up near the top is one of them). There was a plan to turn it into a walk-through lemur enclosure but I have no idea on whether that is still happening or not.

The metal fence just past the enclosure perimeter is along a public walkway behind the zoo.
    • DelacoursLangur
      StoppableSan likes this.
    • StoppableSan
      @Chlidonias From baboons to lemurs... whoopee. (Lemurs are interesting creatures, no doubt, but the umpteenth lemur walkthrough? Really?)
      Zoofan15 likes this.
    • DelacoursLangur
      @Wyman Agreed, especially because this exhibit hardly looks suited for it. A steep rocky slope like this would work well for gelada and barbary sheep perhaps?
    • MonkeyBat
      @DelacoursLangur Nubian ibex as well. I'm not sure why the zoo wouldn't get a few more baboons though, considering that it seems like Australia has quite a few, as well as Auckland
    • snowleopard
      This huge enclosure has been sitting empty for years...and now has a couple of goats in it? Scandalous...and a colossal waste of quality zoo space.
      StoppableSan likes this.
    • Chlidonias
      @snowleopard in terms of an actual time-frame, the enclosure was constructed in 2000, the last of the remaining baboons were euthanised in February 2019, and the goats were placed in there at the start of this year (January 2020). So the enclosure was entirely unused for an whole year (Feb 2019 to Jan 2020) and has had the goats in it since then.

I assume it is a money-related issue, but it is a continually disappointing situation.
    • David Matos Mendes
      Were the remaining baboons sick or were they euthanized for another motive?
    • Zoofan15
      @David Matos Mendes The line given was that they were euthanised on welfare grounds: Wellington Zoo makes difficult decision for Baboons

The situation came about because all the females were exported; reducing the troop to four males. The zoo wanted to phase this species out and no facility within the region wanted additional males.

Adelaide (with a troop of 3.1 Hamadryas baboon) are in a similar situation. It will be interesting to see how things develop with their troop in the future.

In my opinion, phasing out this species was a great loss to the zoo. It was once the largest troop in New Zealand (at around 20-25 baboons) and was subject to several animal behaviour studies due to the many fascinating interactions.
    • David Matos Mendes
      @Zoofan15
      Ah, yes, I understand... Hamadryas baboons are actually hard to handle... thanks for the information :D
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Wellington Zoo
    Uploaded By:
    Chlidonias
    Date:
    5 Sep 2020
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    3.2 MB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    4272px
    Height:
    2848px
    Aperture:
    f/6.3
    Make:
    Canon
    Model:
    Canon EOS 1100D
    Date / Time:
    2020:09:05 11:32:13
    Exposure Time:
    1/40 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 100
    Focal Length:
    20 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).