Join our zoo community
SoCalChevy

Old enclosure behind the Desert LAIR

Could this be the old polar bear habitat?

Old enclosure behind the Desert LAIR
SoCalChevy, 11 Aug 2012
Haliaeetus likes this.
    • SoCalChevy
      Could this be the old polar bear habitat?
    • DavidBrown
      Yes, that is the old polar bear exhibit.
    • Blackduiker
      Remove these old exhibit space remnants, and there is room for another LAIR outdoor exhibit.
    • mstickmanp
      I remember hearing that there was a purpose to the zoo leaving the remnants of the exhibit, but I completely forgot what it was...
    • DavidBrown
      Maybe they left it there so that long-time visitors will get nostalgic for polar bears and demand a new polar bear exhibit after the Rainforest of the Americas is done:D

Does anybody know if a new polar bear exhibit was ever in one of LA Zoo's master plans? I doubt that they would ever build one now given the expense of building a massive modern aquatic exhibit, but everyone loves polar bears so who knows. First they need new exhibits for giraffe, lion, hippo, rhino, California condor, etc etc etc...
    • SoCalChevy
      I also hope they put in a new polar bear exhibit! I do like that they have left parts of the old one this long, though. I hadn't taken a picture of it before, and was wishing I had taken one to help me remember it. Not that there aren't pictures of it online. I guess I just wanted one of my own, to help me remember when there was a polar bear there.
    • Blackduiker
      The announced plans to build a new polar bear exhibit maybe some 12 or more years ago. This was all over the local TV news channels. Raising the needed funds were the major drawback.
    • reduakari
      Perhaps lack of money? Even demolishing concrete is expensive in LA. The time to have done it was when the site for LAIR was being prepared.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Los Angeles Zoo & Botanical Gardens
    Uploaded By:
    SoCalChevy
    Date:
    11 Aug 2012
    View Count:
    Comment Count: