Join our zoo community
Westcoastperson

Old Entrance

The Catalina Island Bird opened in 1929. It was 8 miles long when it opened as the largest Bird Park in the world. It had hundreds of rare species including Cassowary, King Vulture, Humboldt Penguin, and Saurus Cranes. When it closed in 1966 most of the birds went to the new Los Angeles Zoo.

Old Entrance
Westcoastperson, 3 Apr 2021
Coelacanth18 and snowleopard like this.
    • snowleopard
      Thanks for the photos. It's amazing that there is still an entrance here almost a century after this legendary Bird Park opened to the public. In the history book about Honolulu Zoo (2015), there is mention of the Catalina Bird Park. The aviary known as the "Big Cage" is 90 feet in diameter, and the Bird Park's 8 acres was at one time home to 8,000 birds within an astonishing 500 aviaries. They really packed them in back then! :)
    • Arizona Docent
      Intersesting - I have never heard of this before. I assume it is the Catalina Island that is off the coast of Los Angeles? Even though I was born and raised in Los Angeles and lived there into my late twenties, I have never been to Catalina Island!
    • Westcoastperson
      @snowleopard It is very impressive but decrepit. I actually found I behive in part of the entrance structure. What’s truly strange is that there is a Preschool inside of the bird cage. Their entire playground is located under the canopy which must be strange for the kids. I mentioned some of the info you stated in the subheading (next time I will put my subheading in the comments) but it’s strange it’s mentioned at Honolulu but not Los Angeles or San Diego.
      @Arizona Docent yes it would be that Catalina island. I strongly suggest you visit the island. The photography opportunities are amazing with some of the best kelp forests on the planet, massive canyons overlooking the ocean, large plains with bison, and a beautiful main city. As for wildlife the island has bison, bald eagles, channel island foxes, mule deer, a large subspecies of ground squirrel, and large subspecies of California quail. If you take the caravan tours around the island you will not be disappointed I promise you.
      snowleopard likes this.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Catalina Island Bird Park (Closed)
    Uploaded By:
    Westcoastperson
    Date:
    3 Apr 2021
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    3.9 MB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    4032px
    Height:
    3024px

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).