Join our zoo community
GillP

Old orang house and island 22 Nov 2009

Old orang house and island 22 Nov 2009
GillP, 23 Nov 2009
    • taun
      GillP,

Was you behind the barriers for this photo? ;)
    • GillP
      No ...... I was wobbling about on tiptoe on the bits of log surrounding the shrubs. Had Tuan been out though I'd have had no hesitation in climbing onto the handily placed and flat topped bin next to the fence ! :D

Strange how that area's been coralled in ....... can only assume that it's been deliberately obscured (as it's comparatively old and tatty) so as not to detract from RoRA ??
    • taun
      Thought you may have done so, It all forms part of an off-show area and if people were able to view the Orangutans here they would not go in the house as its was much easier to see them here.
    • GillP

Is it not the case that only the dominant Bornean male has access to this island at present while he's still being kept separately from the babies ? (.. think I recall reading that somewhere, perhaps here) If so, then surely people would still go into the house - not least because the Sumatrans are so active, and it's amazing to see them brachiating. I don't think this island would be much competition by comparism.
    • taun
      The orangutans can be elusive in the house! Yes Tuan is the only Bornean orangutan that has access to it. However if the you see him outside the average visitor my say well we have seen one, they will just be the same in the house!
    • GillP
      Sacrilege !!

You may be right though ...... I suppose it depends on how much the average visitor is aware of what exactly RoRA is. Personally - and I know it's selfish - the fewer 'average visitors' in RoRA the better ! :D But you'd think a good proportion of visitors would at least clock the huge building with its netted areas visible and think 'my god, what on earth can be housed in there' and go and have a look.
    • taun
      The house is wonderful when its quiet but somewhere to stay clear in peak time!

They may well, am sure there are other reasons behind it like safety but am not sure. They put a stand off-fence around the outdoor enclosures before the new house was built as before you where right next to the moat.
    • SMR
      Don't forget there were flower beds between the path and the moat on most sides, so they acted as a stand-off prior to the regulation changes.

The fence makes no sense at all to me, although perhaps without it people - especially on busy days - would realise how poor the viewing can be in Realm of the Red Ape compared with the old exhibit.

It's hardly an off-show area when the climbing structures can be seen quite easily, even without the use of that famous dustbin!
    • Goretex
      So 1 of their Orangutans has access to this? When I last visited in July I had assumed that it was unused.:confused:

I think RORA is a brilliant new exhibit and hopefully on my next visit I'll have to try and get there when its quieter.;)
    • SMR
      Confused? Aren't we all. Yes, the old orang house is still in use as is the outdoor area shown in the picture (the area that is fenced off) and both have been since the inception of Realm of the Red Ape. You can often see the male sitting in one of the climbing structures above the fence line, or peer over and see him enjoying the fresh air on the island.

Apparently this area was supposed to be developed as the second phase of RoRA, but the zoo ran out of funds. It would be nice to see it finished (or opened back up) before they start on Heart of Africa.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Chester Zoo
    Uploaded By:
    GillP
    Date:
    23 Nov 2009
    View Count:
    Comment Count: