Join our zoo community
Deer Forest2

Old photo: Francois? langur

All Fran?ois' langurs here have died bacause of improper diet - too much fruit.

Old photo: Francois? langur
Deer Forest2, 16 Sep 2014
Jonas likes this.
    • Deer Forest2
      All François\' langurs here have died bacause of improper diet - too much fruit.
    • FrancoiseLangur
      Not a single Francois' langur left at Beijing Zoo?!

Can you tell me when this photo was taken?
    • Deer Forest2
      This photo was taken in August, 2010. There used to be herd of Francois' langur. But when I visited again in September, 2013 no one left.

I heard through the grapevine that the fecal examination after death showed - too much fruit, no leaf.
    • FrancoiseLangur
      I've heard that happened in many zoos in the past; overactive stomach bacteria killing leaf-eaters due to excessive intake of sugars .

I was wondering if I could see a great part (if not all) of the animals under first-class protection of the State if I visited Beijing Zoo.
    • Deer Forest2
      You can see these first-class protection animal at Beijing Zoo.

Mammal: slow loris, pygmy slow loris, pig-tailed macaque, golden snub-nosed monkey, Guizhou snub-nosed monkey, Yunnan snub-nosed monkey, northern white cheeked gibbon, yellow cheeked gibbon, eastern hoolock gibbon, giant panda, Amur leopard (not exhibit), snow leopard (not exhibit), north China leopard (not exhibit), Siberian tiger, Asian elephant, kiang, Przewalski's horse, black muntjac, white-lipped deer, sika deer, hog deer, David's deer, red goral, golden takin, Siberian ibex

Bird: oriental white stork, black stork, golden eagle, white-talied Sea Eagle, yellow-bellied Tragopan, Swinhoe's Pheasant, crested ibis, Elliot's pheasant, green peafowl, red-crowned crane, Siberian White Crane, great bustard

Reptile: monitor, python (all monitor and python are under first-class protection in China), Chinese crocodile lizard, Chinese alligator
    • FrancoiseLangur
      Thank you zirandelinghun - and oh I was thrilled to look through the list! And it's only a part of the whole collection, Beijing Zoo must have other animals under second-class protection and non-Asian ones as well. This is just amazing... above all I must see the three species of snub-nosed monkeys.

Thanks again for the listing work, it is so valuable. It is not a simple list of all the animals at the zoo, but the special ones have been picked out.

Just for your information - a female Francois langur named Jiang Jiang who was sent from Beijing Zoo as a 'goodwill ambassador' to Nishiyama Zoo (in Fukui prefecture) in 1987 is still alive there. She became 29 years old (!!) in May. Although there's a serious problem with her hairstyle (she has lost a considerable amount of hair!), she is still healthy and eats well. She is now busy helping her daughter-in-law bring up her baby.
    • Deer Forest
      Maybe there are still Francois' langurs left at Beijing Zoo, but don't exhibit, because Beijing Zoo's breeding list of the first half of 2014 includes one Francois' langur!

And don't worry, this species breed quite well in some other Chinese zoos.
    • FrancoiseLangur
      Thanks! In fact I tried to look for that kind of info on Beijing Zoo's website, but I failed. I hope the remaining langur will get someone to join him or her in the future.
    • Deer Forest
      http://www.bjzoo.com/intozoo/magazine.html
      You are welcome! On this page you can download the zoo magazine pdf. The list of animal breeding and export plan will be published every half year :cool:.
    • FrancoiseLangur
      Deer Forest, many thanks for your help!
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Beijing Zoo
    Uploaded By:
    Deer Forest2
    Date:
    16 Sep 2014
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    677.6 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1440px
    Height:
    1080px

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).