Join our zoo community
Pertinax

Old Postcard of Chimpanzee on island at Whipsnade. (Photo by Bond)

Old Postcard of Chimpanzee on island at Whipsnade. (Photo by Bond)
    • Pertinax
      I believe this is on the same island I photo'd..
    • Tim May
      Pertinax likes this.
    • gentle lemur
      My mother visited Whipsnade as a teenager with her family (but she was never a zoo person). This must have been shortly after it opened. When I was child she gave me the guidebook from that visit, which was fascinating, but it was old and the paper was fragile, so it soon fell apart in my hands. I dare say there will be copies in the ZSL library. I remember a photo of two youngish chimps on the island.
      Tim May and Pertinax like this.
    • Tim May
      @gentle lemur

The ZSL Annual Report for 1936 lists the Chimpanzee Island as one of the new works being undertaken that year and there is no photograph of the Chimpanzee Island in the 1936 Whipsnade guidebook.

I don't have a copy of the 1937 or 1938 Whipsnade guide but there is a photograph of the Chimpanzee Island in both the 1939 and 1940 guide.
    • gentle lemur
      @Tim May Thank you. That narrows down the date of their visit; it must have been a little later than I thought.
      Tim May likes this.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    ZSL Whipsnade Zoo
    Uploaded By:
    Pertinax
    Date:
    25 Mar 2020
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    7.6 MB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    5152px
    Height:
    3864px
    Aperture:
    f/3.5
    Make:
    SONY
    Model:
    DSC-W810
    Date / Time:
    2020:03:25 16:55:24
    Exposure Time:
    1/20 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 800
    Focal Length:
    4.6 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).