Join our zoo community
sooty mangabey

Old-school aviaries

Many would say, i am sure, that these are shocking remnants of a long-lost era, worthy of instant destruction. others might point out that, for many years, many birds have done well here - and that old structures such as this add character and heritage to a zoo. Various pheasants and parrots are to be found within.

Old-school aviaries
sooty mangabey, 3 Nov 2009
    • sooty mangabey
      Many would say, i am sure, that these are shocking remnants of a long-lost era, worthy of instant destruction. others might point out that, for many years, many birds have done well here - and that old structures such as this add character and heritage to a zoo. Various pheasants and parrots are to be found within.
    • James27
      Well London zoo wouldn't be the same without it's older buildings, I'd sooner pick their reptile house over a modern one ;)
    • Blackduiker
      Blackduiker

Not all that's old is bad. If they're roomy and breeding is consistant, they look okay to me.
    • European Fauna
      They may well be fine for quite a diversity of smaller species.
    • tim b
      Nice picture- shocking report,how about a full list of species sooty? Various pheasants and pigeons indeed!.On the assumption that the children are yours how come they arent making notes?And the older childs parka is clearly too small for him now.
    • sooty mangabey
      Their note-taking is second to none. Unfortunately, the list in question is momentarily unavailable...

There are a lot of fairly mundane species at Cleres, and the labelling is awful. Very nice place, though - and the old aviaries are wonderful.

It'd be nice if someone did a book about the zoos in France, not unlike the excellent book about British zoos recently published by the IZES...

Shopping
    • tim b
      Now theres one for Jonas.Me? Id head for Germany next I think.Only been to Cleres once about 20 years ago and, in the most atrocious weather,my wife-to-be now ex-mrs was enchanted [not].Probably the biggest dissapointment of any zoo visit ive had.Thanks for the kind words on the book..only today Bill Conway said some very nice things about it too. Kinda makes up for the debacle at the Cottage!
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Le Park de Cleres
    Uploaded By:
    sooty mangabey
    Date:
    3 Nov 2009
    View Count:
    Comment Count: