Join our zoo community
boof

old seal pools Taronga

leopard seal and australian sea lion sharing the largest old pool before they are moved to GSO.

old seal pools Taronga
boof, 18 Jan 2008
steveroberts and JurassicMax like this.
    • boof
      leopard seal and australian sea lion sharing the largest old pool before they are moved to GSO.
    • Eagle
      Weren't there any problems with the sealeopard?
      I think that species is a bit dangerous?
    • Baldur
      I was at Taronga in September 2007 before this leopard seal died, spoke to her keeper, she told me they would (or had in the past) often allowed a bull sea lion in with her for company, he would be too big to bother. Without being an expert on this species, I'd say they are no more dangerous than any other pinniped if you come too near, certainly not as dangerous as those Discovery documentaries let it look it. If not for that there was a large transport box on the limited land space in the enclosure at the time, to train her for the moving to the GSO, the keeper told me she would have allowed me into the enclosure with her! The seal died soon after being moved, presumably from stress, as she had lived without problems in the old pool since 1999 I think.
      Haliaeetus likes this.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Taronga Zoo
    Uploaded By:
    boof
    Date:
    18 Jan 2008
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    269 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1600px
    Height:
    1200px

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).